MensWEAR what? Week Two: Sneakers

The+Vans+sneaker+is+a+classic%2C+stylish+and+affordable+shoe+that+can+pair+up+with+any+outfit.+

Jake Quan

The Vans sneaker is a classic, stylish and affordable shoe that can pair up with any outfit.

Matthew Perry, Columnist

Everyone needs at least one pair of sneakers in their wardrobe. Finding stylish sneakers is easier and cheaper than ever before, with several retailers offering a pair of sneakers to match whichever aesthetic you rock.

Let’s start with the cornerstone of any shoe collection: the minimalistic white sneaker. If you go to NYU and have eyeballs, you have seen at least half the student body walking around wearing sleek sneakers with a green tab. Those are Adidas Stan Smiths, and if you’re willing to sacrifice some originality, they are a low-cost $75 option for the casual follower of fashion trends. If you like the crispness of low-top white sneakers but you want to differentiate yourself from the Adidas crowd, try on the Kent Wang benchgrade whites ($95), or some Converse Jack Purcell tumbled leathers ($80). And if you want to shoot for the expensive pinnacle of all-white low-tops, pick up a pair of the classic Common Projects Achilles Low ($410 new).

In addition to white low-tops, you should look into some more casual shoes that you wouldn’t mind getting a bit banged up. Vans are the quintessential casual sneaker, but I would avoid the floral-patterned models unless you want to look a high-schooler who says “bruh” unironically and owns marijuana leaf-printed socks. An understated grey or white Authentics ($45) will suffice, or maybe even a pair of black SK8-Hi’s ($60) for a more streetwear look.

Beyond Vans, there is a wide array of sneakers that are sporty and fashionable. Adidas Ultra Boost ($180), Nike Flyknit racers ($150) and Asics Gel-Lyte III’s ($120) all fit the bill, as do New Balance 574’s ($80) and Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66’s ($85). I would recommend buying the Yeezy Boost 350s, but they currently fetch over $1000 from secondhand sellers. Nike Killshot 2s would have made this list a month ago, but the line has been inexcusably discontinued. RIP.
As with most things, the color schemes of your outfit are more important than the sartorial merit of the individual pieces. That being said, the right pair of sneakers can either liven up an otherwise dull wardrobe, round out an already well-thought out aesthetic or enable you to dress down without feeling lazy.

Email Matthew Perry at [email protected].