NYU begins search for new provost

Alex Bazeley, News Editor

NYU announced their search for a new university provost in an email to the NYU community on Monday. Current provost David McLaughlin has held the position since 2002.

In the email, Richard Foley, chair of the Provost Search Committee, says that few appointments will be more critical than the choice of the next provost, and says that the university is hoping for input from the community.

“The challenges NYU and other higher education institutions face in the coming decade are substantial, which makes the community’s input all the more valuable as we go forward in the search process,” the email reads.

The email announced an open listening session in which all members of the NYU community can have their voices heard regarding who should fill the role of provost. The session will be held in the Rosenthal Pavilion on Wednesday, Oct. 21 from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. A separate session for faculty only will be held the following week.

Prior to holding the position of provost, McLaughlin was the director of the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, where he announced he will return at the end of the academic year in his annual message to faculty last month.

“I have agreed to continue to serve as Provost through this academic year, after which I will return to the faculty of the Courant Institute and join the faculty of Tandon School of Engineering and the affiliated faculty of NYU Shanghai,” McLaughlin said.

President-Designate Andrew Hamilton, who will take over in January, followed up with the announcement of the search committee in an email to the faculty.

“I see the provost as my partner in developing strategic priorities, critically assessing our academic strengths and weaknesses, and nurturing and sustaining cultures of excellence and innovation in New York and across our global network,” the email reads.

In 2002, in a statement released after being he was appointed provost, McLaughlin outlined his view of what the provost’s mission should be.

“Academic and educational priorities must be central to every major decision,” the statement reads. “Faculty and students are the heart and soul of the University — with faculty providing the essential foundation of the permanent University, upon which our students build the future.”

A version of this article appeared in the Oct 13 print edition. Email Alex Bazeley at [email protected].