Fall food festivals in New York City

Avia Hawkins, Contributing Writer

It has been said that New York City is one of the world’s major melting pots. Yet, we often forget to embrace the different cultures around us and enjoy the foods that the city’s wide array of cultures has to offer. Luckily, with food festivals, parades and events happening throughout the year it’s easy to try exciting, unique sweets, meats and dishes. These food events going on this fall are a perfect opportunity to get out of your culinary comfort zone.

Madison Square Eats

Many foodies are well aware that Madison Square Park is one of locations of the delicious burger joint, Shake Shack. However, on Sept. 4 the park was energized by the return of Madison Square Eats. This culinary pop-up market features multiple vendors and chefs from all around New York City. There, one can find delicious items ranging from Arancini Bros.’s Sicilian Rice Balls to Farm Road’s Jalapeno Cream Corn. For those who aren’t feeling adventurous, well-known vendors like Momofuku Milk Bar and Sigmund’s will also be serving up delicious treats. It ends on Oct. 1, so take the N, R or 6 train to 23rd Street to get to Madison Square Park.

Chile Pepper Festival

The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is a hotspot during the spring for the gorgeous Cherry Blossom Festival but during the fall, it is a popular destination for the Chile Pepper Festival. On Sept. 26 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., one can enjoy different hot pepper-filled dishes and sweet peppery chocolate desserts prepared by 52 local chefs. To enjoy the festival that has spiced up the Cherry Garden for 23 years, one can take the 2 or 3 train to the Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum stop or the Q or S train to the Prospect Park Station. Tickets are $15 for students with ID and free for those who are members of the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. To learn more, visit http://www.bbg.org/visit/event/chile_pepper_festival_2015#/.

NYC Caribbean Food Festival

As it gets cooler, we all like to daydream that we are somewhere warm and tropical. Fortunately, on Oct. 17 the cuisine, art and music of the Caribbean are coming to Brooklyn. From 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., for only $11, one can enjoy food samples, tastings, and chef demonstrations and cook-offs, while shopping for spices and listening to performers. Sponsored by the Haitian Times and CUNY, this event will take place right next door to NYU Poly. You can purchase tickets to try the cuisine influenced by various European and African cultures on Eventbrite.

Email Avia Hawkins at [email protected].