Where to feed out-of-town guests

Calvin Falk

The Halal Guys cart is located on 53rd St and 6th Ave as well as other locations around Manhattan.

Riddhi Keralia, Contributing Writer

Because New York City offers such a vast melting pot of culture and cuisine, New Yorkers often find it difficult to choose which places to take their guests to eat when they come to town. Even if you ate at a different restaurant for every meal for 10 years, you still would not have eaten at every restaurant in New York. Three meals a day is not enough when you’re in the city, but to make every meal count, try treating your guests to these suggestions.

Pizza, which is a popular choice for college students, is a must-eat food in New York that many guests from out of town want to experience. There are numerous authentic pizza places that can’t be missed when one is in New York City. From the famous Joe’s Pizza (7 Carmine St.), which is many celebrities’ favorite, to Artichoke Basille’s Pizza (328 14th St.) that melts in your mouth, New York City pizza is hard to beat.

New York is said to have the best bagels in America, with popular choices such as an everything bagel from Ess-a-Bagel (831 Third Ave.). Other typical New York foods to treat your guests to are hot dogs from Gray’s Papaya (2090 Broadway), soft pretzels from Sigmund’s pretzel shop (29 Ave. B) and cheesecake from Junior’s (386 Flashbulb Ave., Brooklyn).

The long list of must eats in New York also includes the lunch-only, off-menu burger from Gramercy Tavern (42 E. 20th St.) or the Shackburger from Shake Shack (366 Columbus Ave.). Delicious pierogies from the traditional Ukrainian diner Veselka (144 Second Ave.) definitely makes the list along with Pork Buns at Momofuku Noodle Bar (171 First Ave.).

Other dishes to satisfy your appetite in New York are burritos from Taqueria Diana (129 Second Ave.), an egg cream from Eddie’s Sweet Shop (105-29 Metropolitan Ave., Forest Hills), pastrami on rye at Katz’s Delicatessen (205 E. Houston St.), a porterhouse steak at Peter Luger Steak House (178 Broadway, Brooklyn), black and white cookies at Glaser’s Bake Shop (1670 First Ave.) and savory crepes from The Crooked Tree (110 Saint Marks Place).

Along with delicious cheesecakes and bagels, New York street food is something your guests should be sure not to miss. Halal Guys, a food cart located on 53rd St. and 6th Ave., is a popular, inexpensive choice for authentic street fare.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, April 21st print edition. Email Riddhi at [email protected].