Runners impress at invitational

Jonathan Scifman, Contributing Writer

The NYU track and field teams posted strong results during the Roadrunner Invitational at Ramapo College in New Jersey on Friday and Saturday. The men’s team finished in seventh place out of a total of 28 teams with 34 total points — 96 points behind first-place Monroe College. The women’s team scored 16 points, coming in 14th out of 26 schools and finishing 120.5 points behind first-place Ithaca College.

The men’s squad had several top 10 finishes, including the team’s best performance by the 4×100 team of freshman Malcolm Montilus, junior Matthew Powers and sophomores Budd Brown and Caleb Su. The foursome placed second out of 21 teams, clocking in at a season-best time of 42.78 and accumulating eight points.

Powers and Brown also scored points in the 200-meter dash, where they raced individually. Competing against 69 racers, Powers placed third and scored six points for NYU and Brown scored four points by coming in fifth place.

The Violets also had outstanding performances in the 1,500-meter run, including a fifth place finish from senior Steve Crnic. Clocking in at 4:10.89, Crnic ended the race ahead of 63 competitors, scoring four points. Two other participants in the race were junior Daniel Rieger and freshman Jordan Reyes, who finished in 19th and 24th, respectively.

Crnic, who had a stress fracture in his lower back during the fall semester, said he was relieved to place highly without any pain.

“I think I’m finally starting to round into shape,” Crnic said. “It was good to be up near the front today and feeling good at the end of a race, so I’m excited to keep training hard and getting ready for bigger meets down the road.”

The rest of the Violets’ scoring came from junior Max Avila, freshman Isaac Cohen, and sophomore Carter Beardsley, who scored a combined total of 12 points. Avila was the third Violet to have a fifth place finish, beating out 56 competitors in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:00.92. Cohen, who participated in the 5000-meter run, clocked in at 16:24.86 for a sixth place finish. Beardsley competed in both the shot put and the hammer throw, but only scored in the shot with a 13.95-meter fourth-place finish.

In the women’s competition, juniors Sarah Sisk and Becky Turlip had the best performances. Racing against 61 participants in the 800-meter run, Sisk came in third place with a time of 2:20.11 while Turlip finished one place behind at 2:21.62. Together, the two earned 11 of NYU’s 16 points.

Junior Kristina Harris scored the remaining five points in the 100-meter dash, where she ran 12.66 in the preliminary heats and 12.69 in the final race against eight competitors. Other strong showings came from sophomore Simone Cooper and junior Rebecca Shimonov. Cooper placed in 11th out of 25 in the triple jump with a personal best distance of 10.17 meters. In the long jump and 100-meter hurdles, Shimonov finished in 17th and 16th out of 43 and 38 participants, respectively. She achieved a season-high distance in the long jump with 4.84 meters, and a personal best time of 15.99 in the hurdles.

Despite her strong showing, Shimonov believes she is capable of performing better in the long jump.

“I wish I did better in long jump since I ended up fouling my last two jumps and my mark of 4.84 is roughly 0.3 meters shy of my outdoor best,” Shimonov said.

Both track teams will compete next at the New York City Metropolitan Championships on April 11.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 6 print edition. Email Jonathan Schifman at [email protected].