The Weekend: March 27-29

via wikipedia.org

Three times the size of Central Park, Freshkills Park is a prime weekend getaway.

Amanda Morris, Staff Writer

Though it may seem like things wind down after spring break, there are plenty of cheap events around the city to take advantage of this weekend for a relaxing break from the return to the cycle of classes and work.

Life On The Moon

If you want to watch a free theater performance, the Gallatin School of Individualized Study Theatre Troupe will premiere its show “Life On The Moon” at 7 p.m. on Thursday to Saturday at 3 p.m. on Sunday at the Jerry H. Labowitz Theatre for the Performing Arts. The show is about Spencer, a member of the U.S. Army, who encounters tensions with his family when he goes home for Christmas. Tickets can be reserved at eventbrite.com.

Nic and the Squad’s Variety Hour

Nic Hanson, a rising musician who was recently featured on MSNBC’s “All In” program, will perform Sunday at the DROM music venue at 9 p.m. The hour-long show is open to ages 18 and up. Hanson’s performance will be preceded by a performance by the High Class Hoodlums at 7 p.m. and a performance by Molly Chapman at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5.

Westbury Market Fair Grand Opening

If you’re in the mood to go thrift shopping, flea market shopping or shopping in general, the Westbury Market Fair will have its grand opening this Saturday. The market sells everything from antiques and collectibles to wholesale items. It will be open from 8 a.m. till 4 p.m. and is located in Westbury on Long Island. It is a great excuse for those wanting to get out of the city and look for good deals.

Stop and Smell the Roses

If you love flowers and want to celebrate the coming of spring, go to the free Macy’s Spring 2015 Flower Show at Herald Square, open only until April 4. You can view beautiful flower art displays in Macy’s and enjoy other Macy’s events including Thursday’s runway show featuring Emme, the first plus-sized supermodel.

Bike or Hike

With warmer weather and bathing suit season right around the corner, take the opportunity to exercise outdoors. A beautiful place to hike or bike is Freshkills Park on Staten Island. The park is fairly new, opening in 2012 and will continue to expand to become three times the size of Central Park. It’s currently opening in phases, but if you’re really curious you can book a tour to see the park’s unopened parts. Another popular and beautiful park on Staten Island is Willowbrook Park, which has hiking trails and barbecue areas, so you can bring several friends and pack a lunch.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, March 26 print edition. Email Amanda Morris at [email protected].