Quidditch sweeps competition

Bobby Wagner, Sports Editor

The game of quidditch exists outside of the magical world of “Harry Potter,” and one of the best squads in the country sports NYU’s violet. The NYU Nundu, a traveling intramural club, are ranked ninth in the nation.

Naturally, there are some major differences between the magical version of the sport and the muggle version of the sport. In the magical version, the match ends when one team reaches 150 points or the Seeker catches the Golden Snitch, which awards their team 150 points. However, in real life the Golden Snitch can’t propel itself, so they substitute in a person to run around and avoid being caught. As for brooms, they generally use PVC pipe held between their legs, which is more of an athletic feat than it gets credit for.

The team faces strong competition here in the northeast, squaring off against other colleges like Emerson College, Tufts University, Hofstra University and Boston University. Nundu Public Relations Chair Dylan Meehan, a Gallatin sophomore who got into quidditch by happenstance, has been on the squad since coming to NYU. Meehan spoke of the athleticism needed to play a sport often deemed ridiculous and awkward.

“People think it’s silly but it’s a lot harder than it seems and takes a bit to get used to,” Meehan said. “Matches are really intense and a lot of fun to play in.”

Once a year the team goes to the Quidditch World Cup, where they have competed against other squads from Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom and France. This year, however, the tournament will only feature teams from the United States.

“It’s a legitimate sport,” Meehan said. “We have some people who play just because it’s the sport from Harry Potter, which is awesome, but we also have some serious athletes on the team.”

For a sport that USA Today and BuzzFeed recently recognized nationally, quidditch still has been the subject of some ridicule. Meehan, however, has confidence that the Nundu are one of the best sports teams at NYU.

“As far I as know we are one of the most successful sports teams that NYU has,” Meehan said. “By media ranking, we are currently ranked ninth in the nation and, essentially, the world.”

Quidditch, though, has offered more than just successful play on the pitch. Since it is such a niche sport, geared towards people who are interested in many of the same things, Quidditch creates a unique community for people looking to fit in at NYU or anywhere.

“I love the athletic aspect to the game but the best part about it is the community it creates not only at NYU but across campuses,” Meehan said. “I have a bunch of friends from around the Northeast because they play Quidditch for their schools, and then we bond over our strange combination of athleticism and nerdiness.”

The Nundu will look to continue their successful season on April 11, when they travel to Rock Hill, South Carolina to compete in the Quidditch World Cup.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 18 print edition. Email Bobby at [email protected].