Paris couture pushes boundaries

Madison Reis, Contributing Writer

Paris Couture Week wrapped up on Jan. 29, exuding all of the fantasy and whimsy that everyone had hoped for and expected.  From Chanel to Valentino, Christian Dior to Giambattista Valli, the industry was left wishing for spring to arrive. The swarming number of editors, fashionistas and celebrities — thanks to the overlap of women’s and men’s fashion weeks — made Paris a fashion heaven. Here, we highlight the shows that stood out above the rest.

The Chanel runway screamed spring, adorned with 300 handmade flowers that for any other designer might have distracted from the clothes, but for Chanel only complemented the impeccable design. The colors were bold and the hats were wild and large. Color-block wool suits, A-line skirts and long jackets were interspersed with looks of sheer black and flower-covered blouses cut short to show bare midriffs,  beautifully dancing the line between elegant and youthful. There were even flower encrusted beanies that had a Cara Delevingne flair to them.  While at times over the top, the collection was perfect for Couture Week. 

Valentino’s runway show brought to mind a dreamy love story that was the perfect mix of fantasy and reality. Folkloric prints were inspired by painter Marc Chagall and his Russian heritage. The romantic color palette, soft chiffon and elegant patterns made the whole collection beautifully cohesive and surprisingly wearable for a couture show.

The Christian Dior show was modern yet chic. Through a winding, labyrinthine catwalk of white scaffolding and mirrored walls came outfits just as unconventional. From printed catsuits to full-sized ballerina skirts, the outfits exuded youth and vibrancy.  But one detail that stood out the most was the models’ futuristic hair. A simple pony tail was broken up in the middle by interlocking metallic rings to connect the models’ natural hair with longer extensions, resulting in super-long, futuristic ponytails.  They have already created a major buzz among the fashion community as one of the most creative and fun uses of extensions so far.

Giambattista Valli diverged sharply this year from his usual fairytale designs. Inspired by the Metropolitan Museum’s Impossible Conversations Show, Valli imagined a conversation between fashion icons Coco Chanel and Janis Joplin. Every look was shamelessly feminine and brazenly powerful. Full skirts were covered with frills and classic sleeveless silhouettes bore intricate patterning. The whole show was a beautiful dedication to women of fashion who have successfully prevailed by breaking rules and ignoring standards.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 11 print edition.  Email Madison Reis at [email protected]