For seniors who swim, final meet bittersweet

Bradley Alsop, Contributing Writer

Senior Day was a resounding success for the NYU men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams, as they notched convincing victories against the Division I Iona College Gaels on Jan. 24 at the Palladium Athletic Facility.

The men’s team routed the Gaels 219-71, and the women’s team dispatched their opponent 207-84. Senior co-captain Matt Kendall came in first in the 100-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard breaststroke, with times of 58.28 and 1:34:51, respectively. Kendall was also a part of the 200-yard medley relay, along with freshman Adam Betts, sophomore Daniel Tay and senior co-captain Jerry Crowley.

By giving such a strong performance, the seniors were able to help keep their undefeated season alive. They now sit at 9-0 on the season with four matches to go before the NCAA championship starts. Senior night was just another celebration of what has been a magical season thus far for the Violets.

Senior diver Austin Blease, the athlete of the week for the Eastern College Athletic Conference and University Athletic Association, won the 1-meter and 3-meter diving competitions, with scores of 337.20 and 338.56, respectively. Blease broke his own NYU 3-meter six-dive record, set in the 2011-2012 season, of 334.50.

The men’s seniors, Kendall, Crowley and Brian Blum, were honored for their years of competition, but not without some nostalgia.

“Senior Day was kind of a bittersweet experience,” Blum said. “While we were receiving our honors and awards for sticking it out and being athletes for four years, it was also kind of a somber experience, as well as a celebratory one.”

The Violets had a similarly dominant performance on the women’s side. Senior Emily Doerner placed first in the 100-yard backstroke and the 100-yard butterfly, clocking in at 1:00:36 and 58:38. Doerner also won with the 200-yard medley relay team, along with her teammates sophomore Katie Webber and freshmen Isabella Kitze and Serena Yan.

The ECAC named Kitze their Rookie of the Week on Jan. 21. She won the 50-yard freestyle over the weekend with a time of 24.58. She also won the 100-yard freestyle, finishing with a time of 53.34.

Senior Kate Donnelly also expressed her gratitude for the chance at an opportunity to share a career with her teammates in the Palladium pool.

“Senior Day is always a blast,” Donnelly said. “To be with the people who stuck it out for four years is very special. We’ve been together for countless practices and meets. The whole team was also very supportive and made the meet that much more memorable.”

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 9 print edition. Email Bradley Alsop at [email protected].