Divest projects images of Sandy

Suebin Kim, Staff Writer

On the two-year anniversary of Superstorm Sandy, members of NYU Divest projected images of the storm’s damage on a wall in the lobby of the Kimmel Center for University Life.

NYU Divest’s Art and Design team created a video art installation to memorialize the impact of the superstorm on NYU and surrounding communities. Many students stopped to watch the video and sign a petition to support NYU Divest’s mission to separate the university from the fossil fuel industry.

Dorothy Lam, Steinhardt senior and Divest member, created the video.

“It was a combination of both news source videos and also original photographs that I took the day after Sandy hit,” Lam said.

Michael Leone, a graduate from Wagner Graduate School of Public Service and Divest member, said ignoring climate change is a huge risk and is no longer an option.

“We want to make sure that people don’t forget, and that people understand this is about climate change,” Leone said. “Climate change is just going to make storms like Sandy more frequent and more intense. The time has long passed for us to do something about it.”

CAS sophomore Sukhveen Soni, a Long Island resident, said more attention must be given to climate change.

“I think the climate issue is definitely something that needs to be considered,” Soni said. “It’s not factored a lot into our education so I think we should do something about that.”

Gallatin sophomore Hunter Kurepa-Peers said Sandy did not directly affect her but she was devastated to hear about it because her family was on the East Coast.

“Now that I’m actually living here, I feel like I have much more responsibility and there’s something I can do about it,” Kupera-Peers said. “I think that especially at NYU, where so many people want to change things, this is the best place to start these petitions.”

Tisch freshman Sebastian James Dillingham initially was not aware that it was the second anniversary.

“I don’t think about it much because I’m from the West Coast and [Sandy] doesn’t come up much,” Dillingham said. “Even here I haven’t heard about it all day so it’s good that Divest is here to remind us about it.”

Tisch freshman Gwenndolyn Aume said she supports Divest’s efforts.

“To have NYU put their funding, which is our funding, into something like climate change rather than fossil fuels — that’s something that I’m going to sign for,” Aume said.

Lam said it is easy to forget how tragic the storm was.

“Hopefully, though, re-watching these videos reminds people that climate change is an issue that we definitely have to address urgently,” Lam said.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday Oct. 30 print edition. Email Suebin Kim at [email protected].