Angel Sanchez Fall/Winter 2014

Click for more looks from Angel Sanchez F/W 2014.

For his Fall 2014 collection, Angel Sanchez champions themes previously utilized in his Spring Evening 2014 line and intensely plays them up to craft sharp, no-nonsense looks.

Angel Sanchez, citing inspiration from “a woman who appears to be conservative and demure…dressed with monastic elegance, she prays for a divine power to help her control her darkest dreams, “ titles this collection as “Dark Innocence.”

The show opened in pitch darkness, but the lights, in sync with the bass of the music, dramatically shone onto each of the four sections as soon as the first model stepped into them. And as soon as the show ended, the lights faded out, emphasizing Sanchez’ exploration of darker themes.

The runway wrapped around the seats and was broken into four main lines, allowing for the audience to catch close looks at the daring open backs and exposed arms that Sanchez accentuates strongly throughout. With this choice of runway, attendees were able to better appreciate standout looks such as a semi-sheer long-sleeve, long to short gown that awed them with its liquid-like train.

Sanchez produces a beautiful dichotomy between the “Dark” and “Innocence” that make up the collection’s title.

Architectural cuts, tactful use of fluid fabric and smartly-placed geometric cut-outs are just a few elements that Sanchez dramatizes to create this collection.

Materials like steel, dark jacquard and leather supplement streamlined gowns, caped dresses and elbow-reaching gloves that are positioned next to models decorated with minimal makeup and sleek low buns. The show begins with looks saturated in all black but slowly makes its way towards winter whites, with a few looks boasting rich solid colors thrown into the order.

Sanchez’s Fall 2014 collection successfully presents pieces that were not only strong, tailored silhouettes, but also feminine and flowing, a true definition of the dark innocence envisioned.

Avery Chang is a staff writer. Email her at [email protected].