Raoul Fall/Winter 2014

Click for more looks from Raoul F/W 2014.

The Raoul Women’s F/W 2014 line, presented at Lincoln Center’s Kaplan Penthouse, was a nostalgic step back to fashion’s golden years.  Inspiration from various eras, including the 50s, 60s and a splash of the funky 70s, was clear in the collection, yet a sense of contemporary style was felt as well. Some pieces were grand and adorned in feathers, while others stood out for their simplicity.  Dresses were covered in a plethora of patterns including plaids, flowers, metallics and a black and white diamond cut. Some of the floor length gowns seemed fitting for fashion icon Jacqueline Kennedy, as they were cut at the perfect, elegant length. There were also jackets with feather trims possibly inspired by Elizabeth Taylor.

Raoul’s line truly transports the eye into an array of inspirations from the past. This could be seen through the musical selection, as a slow and mellow song introduced an up-tempo 50s party atmosphere.

The models were beautifully made up, with much attention focused to their eyes. This was paired with a natural, wavy updo.

One stand-out piece from the line was a black and white ombré and plaid two-piece ensemble. The pants in this look stopped just above the ankles and the jacket ended at just above the knee. Together, the jacket and pants created the perfect look for the woman on the go.

Overall the presentation was well done, to say the least.  The Raoul F/W 2014 line took note from a time when fashion was fresh and this line is full of timeless trends and styles.  It was as if the clothes were designed for the iconic women of past eras, proving that these fashion inspirations never go out of style.

Rafiki Johnson is a contributing writer. Email him at [email protected].