Organic by John Patrick Spring/Summer 2014

Click for more looks from Organic by John Patrick Spring/Summer 2014.

The runway, basked in unfettered sunlight from bare windows, possessed a total absence of color. At first the dearth of decoration seemed prosaic but as soon as the music, smooth horns mixed with heavy bass, cascaded out from the speakers and the models, sporting boxy jackets and billowing skirts, cascaded out from backstage, the perfect connection between the setting and John Patrick’s Spring/Summer 2014 collection for Organic became apparent. The clean, unobtrusive venue paired well with the collection’s emphasis on solid colors and lack of distracting pattern.

For his latest Organic collection, Patrick does not venture far past the boundaries of his usual Bohemia-meets-Avante-Garde cocktail that translates into all of his work. A mature and particularly feminine branch from his previous work, this collection is composed of sheer tops, full skirts, and of course, Patrick’s signature riff on the classic slip dress.

The signature piece this season took the form of a pale slip dress made of organic cotton voile. The model glided across the runway in this dress with an elegant train, leaving everyone who watched in awe of the subtle beauty of the delicately hazy slip.

Patrick’s pieces seemed fit for a modern day fairy. Makeup was minimal and hair was left mussed and down. The look was effortlessly natural due to the diaphanous slip dresses and sheer tops, yet strong and modern in its structured jackets and sensible sandals.

Although Patrick encompassed the entire color spectrum, he barely mixed different colors in any one look. Instead, he chose to match similar shades together, creating looks that served to be very pleasing to the eyes. A particularly notable piece was a pale neutral cropped shirt made of 100% organic cotton voile with a boxy bronze jacket draped over, paired with a matching full, bronze skirt. The simple beauty of the structured look caused rippling sighs of content across the audience.

John Patrick’s collection manifests itself in self-described “optimism and modern glamour.”

Inspired by the classic Italian film, L’Avventura, the collection reflected well on Patrick’s intentions of creating a look that embodies “the spirit of a time when anything seemed possible.” Patrick declared that the film lit his imagination, and judging by his latest collection, his declaration proves true.

Avery Chang is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].