Carlos Alberto Spring/Summer 2014

Click for more looks from Carlos Alberto Spring/Summer 2014.

From the minute the lights dimmed down, it was almost tangible – that lively, Latin American spirit. The music was loud, the alcohol flowing, and nearly everyone was speaking Spanish. Carlos Alberto, a Puerto Rican designer whose work gained renown in the beauty pageant world, kept this spirit alive from the start by opening the show with a set of white fringed bathing suits, a proper opening for what turned out to be a very island-inspired collection.

It comes as no surprise that this collection, which features both women’s and men’s wear as well as a children’s line, was inspired by his native country. On the one hand, the use of blues and greens throughout the clothes referred to the literal colors of the lushly vegetated island of Puerto Rico. His use of silks, beachwear, and fitted corsets, on the other hand, payed a more symbolic tribute to the Latin American spirit of his home.

While the references to his inspirations were clear and distinct, the collection seemed more appropriate for the stages of a beauty pageant than the streets of the real world. Rhinestones, pearls, feathers, leotards, and fringes were all a bit much – taking the already beautiful sweeping gowns to a different level of “tacky”. The best pieces from the collection, henceforth, were the simple and modest ready-to-wear that walked down the runway. Showcasing Alberto’s expert design and exquisite tailoring skills, these pieces stole the show.

With that being said, Alberto garnered points for some of the more auspicious pieces. A real highlight, for example, was the headpieces in the children’s collection. The colorful headdresses were fun and lively, bringing out that same aspect in Alberto’s other designs.

Although extravagant, Carlos Alberto would’ve fared better if he had let his skills as a artist speak for themselves rather than use distractions to take away from the pure simplicity of design.

Addy Baird is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].

• L

LaRox by Roxy MarieSep 10, 2013 at 11:55 am

Actually the headpieces were made my me . LaRox by Roxy Marie.

• R

Raul ColonSep 8, 2013 at 9:58 am

Thanks for covering the work of a designer we admire here on the Island. I am also grateful to see pictures of one of my friends and favorite Puerto RIcan Models in this post. Will be writing a blog post and pointing to this article. Thanks again!