Time to Innovate Mental Health Services

WSN Editorial Board

In 2014, the American Psychological Association released findings showing that 48.7 percent of college students attended counseling for mental health reasons in 2013 — a 3.5 percent increase since 2010. This increase in demand for college-based mental health services has left universities at a loss for how to accommodate students’ needs while also remaining within their budgets, according to the Guardian. Currently, NYU’s mental health services align with the national majority of university mental health programs in the United States but still do not fully meet students’ needs. While many are pleased with the current services, there is great room for improvement and innovation to combat increasing need.

There are already a great deal of mental health resources available to students at NYU — as outlined in NYU’s Student Health Insurance Guide — though the current system does leave some gaps. Under the university plan, health services will provide students in need with up to ten short-term counseling sessions and semester-long group psychotherapy. Once these 10 sessions have been used up, however, the university re-directs students to affiliate counselors and clinicians that can charge students depending on their health insurance up to $240 per session. Although this policy provides an important resource for students with mental illnesses, it cuts students off in the middle of treatment if they are unable to afford outside therapy.

According to the 2013 National College Health Assessment, one-third of U.S. college students faced depression, and almost half felt symptoms of anxiety disorder during the academic year. Besides, around 30 percent of students who look for mental health services say that they have thought about committing suicide at some point, according to the Center of Collegiate Mental Health. The Center’s studies also show that the percentage of students who recur to university services increase every year. Therefore, NYU should innovate its services to accommodate these increasing demands. According to the APA, the University of Florida implemented an app designed to help students with anxiety, which includes exercises and 10-minute sessions with counselors. NYU should follow the University of Florida’s example and provide an easy way for students to communicate and voice their concerns to professionals.

NYU has proven that it is committed to helping students affected by mental illness through the resources it provides and the efforts it makes to raise awareness. But to truly give students the full treatment they need, the administration must innovate its programs and find a way to accommodate those students who can’t afford their own.

Email WSN Editorial Board at [email protected].