Homesick at NYU

September 12, 2016

Homesickness is hard to quantify. They say 21 days is all the time the body needs to adjust to a new routine. Maybe this applies for vegetarianism or a new sleep cycle — but adjusting to living in a new place, especially New York, is a whole different ball game.

My first experience with homesickness was at sleepaway camp as a 13-year-old. I remember hearing about other kids who were desperate to go home — they hated being there, they hated being away from their parents and they were beyond ready to leave after less than a week. I grew up with the idea that homesickness just means that I missed home, but I was, more importantly, miserable where I was. During the four months that I spent in Florence studying abroad, I refused to believe that I was homesick because I was so in love with living in Italy. No matter how much I missed my family, friends or a cup of brewed coffee, I was happy. Homesickness, no matter where you are, doesn’t fit into a specific definition.

Whether you’re flying across oceans or countries or hopping on a train, you’re leaving something behind. Sometimes, you won’t realize just how much you’re going to miss quiet suburban streets until you don’t have them anymore. New York is a funny place. It can be the loudest, most overwhelming city in the world. But sometimes, a little reflection, a bowl of your favorite soup or a phone call home can make the world seem a little smaller and your life here a little bit less overwhelming.

*If you’re looking for some ways to combat that homesickness, click here for WSN staff recs.

3