Jazz Music Venues for the Night Owl

February 28, 2016

Smalls Jazz Club

183 W 10th St

Tucked away in the heart of Greenwich Village, Smalls Jazz Club lives up to its name with a simple narrow door. The real scene is waiting down the flight of stairs where a comfortable ambiance can be found. With musicians playing live music at the stage, you can sit in any row of chairs or lounge by the bar, tapping your foot to the beat. The quality music and relaxed environment is welcoming to come alone. Though the price isn’t cheap, it guarantees experience. Come listen to two sets for $20 or swing by late around 2 a.m. for no
cover charge.

Mezzrow

163 W 10th St

Located across the street from Smalls, Mezzrow shares the same owner and the same great musical experience. Additionally, a cover charge at Mezzrow guarantees free pass to Smalls for a prolonged night. Dim and intimate, the music room is ideal for fully immersing oneself in the music without distraction. Sit close to the front to get the best view, as space is limited. For the one-person party it will be no problem to enjoy the self-described “musical environment run by musicians for musicians.”

Terra Blues

149 Bleecker St

Situated conveniently close to campus, Terra Blues is another great venue to sway to phenomenal music. The standing stage allows for a better view to watch musicians passionately playing their instruments. The sound levels are just right to ensure that everyone can enjoy the music. With only a $10 cover, you will be treated to a whole evening of some smooth jazz.

The Jazz Gallery

1160 Broadway

The Jazz Gallery is a must to check out with its expansive space and high ceilings, located on the fifth floor of a loft. A no-frills environment, there is nothing to worry about except appreciating the music. As a non-profit, the Jazz Gallery has been committed to encouraging new jazz musicians for the past two decades. With regular shows and frequent culture-oriented series, the Jazz Gallery will be an experience in and of itself.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 29 print edition. Email Nina Jang at [email protected]