Your Guide to 2016

January 25, 2016

Hamilton Prioritizes Diversity, Inclusion

As students prepare to tackle the next semester of their college careers, NYU also plans to commence its next chapter as newly elected President Andrew Hamilton leads the university into 2016 and beyond.

Following an eight-month international search process with over 200 nominees, Hamilton was chosen last March as President John Sexton’s successor and has wasted no time getting started. In his first week of work, he met with Lynn Videka and Charlton McIlwain, co-chairs of NYU’s newly created Diversity & Inclusion Task Force.

After students aired their disappointment in the institution for not addressing diversity concerns at a university-wide discussion in November, former NYU President John Sexton assured the community that issues regarding diversity would be addressed. However, it is unclear how Hamilton will follow through on these promises for policy change. The task force is expected to present its findings and make preliminary recommendations in April 2016.

Washington Square News spoke to Arielle Andrews of the Black Student Union last December to get her take on what she hopes Hamilton will do to promote diversity at NYU.

“Hamilton needs to further the agenda of diversity and inclusion at NYU,” Andrews said. “Creating a more welcoming space for all students, particularly students with marginalized identities, needs to be a top priority. NYU needs to do more to take care of students from diverse backgrounds once they get here.”

After being approved by the Board of Trustees last spring, Hamilton said making education affordable for students in low-income families is a priority. He plans to focus on continuing NYU’s fundraising campaigns, including the Momentum Campaign, in hopes of expanding financial aid opportunities for incoming students.

“During my time in Oxford, and indeed when I was provost at Yale, I placed the highest priority on affordability of education and most importantly about ensuring that the cost is not an impediment to those particularly from disadvantaged income backgrounds,” Hamilton said. “When I come to NYU I’m going to want to play a very active role in that fundraising campaign and I hope we will blow through a billion dollars quickly and actually set a higher goal.”

Undergraduates may finally breathe a sigh of relief as students have been up in arms in recent years over skyrocketing tuition costs. As the price of attendance soared over $70,000 some students began questioning the value of an NYU degree.

Stern sophomore Oscar Adelman said he hopes President Hamilton understands when a student and their family spends a quarter of a million dollars on a top-notch college education, they expect their investment to appreciate in value.

“The university and President should first and foremost work to ensure an NYU diploma is a solid long-term investment,” Adelman said.

Investment in new facilities and improvement of the university’s infrastructure is also one of Hamilton’s priorities during his presidency. He will be taking over the controversial NYU 2031 expansion plan, including the construction on the Coles athletic facility, in addition to overseeing the development of Tisch’s new proscenium theater.

These projects will undoubtedly pose a challenge to the Hamilton administration, as former President John Sexton faced severe backlash from the 2031 plan even before it broke ground. However, Hamilton said NYU’s expansion is key to providing world-class education at one of the nation’s premier universities.

“I hope I’ll be able to bring a very strong emphasis on core academic issues, the teaching that we offer our students, the high quality of research that’s carried out in NYC and in the overseas campuses,” Hamilton said.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 25 print version. Email Anne Cruz and Lexi Faunce at [email protected].

Election Season in Full Swing

Jake Quan

NYU students congregate to watch the Democratic debate in the Leslie eLab.

With President Barack Obama’s final State of the Union address and the Democratic presidential primary debate right behind us, NYU students have begun voicing their thoughts on the upcoming primary election.

Candidates expected to lead the Democratic primaries include former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley. Given a much larger handful of Republican candidates, students have expressed diverse views on leading candidates like Texas Senator Ted Cruz, Florida Senator Marco Rubio and businessman Donald J. Trump.

With a slew of crucial primaries throughout February, various political organizations on campus are taking their respective stances.

The media and communications director of NYU College Republicans and CAS senior Matthew Glaser said that NYU College Republicans officially believe the Republican party has far too many candidates, with a large variety of fresh opinions that may or may not work.

“On behalf of NYU College Republicans, we think this cycle’s GOP primary has turned into a circus with the amount of candidates that have been running against each other,” Glaser said. “But as an individual Republican not linked to NYU College Republicans, I think Donald Trump, this clown running for elections, has totally hurt the GOP image.”

School of Professional Studies junior Eli Nachmany, a representative of NYU for the New York City College Republicans, disagreed with Glaser’s assessment of the current GOP race. Nachmany said the relatively large number of Republican candidates is great news as it increases options and encourages debates on mixed approaches.

“We are fortunate to have a slew of exceptional candidates running this cycle on the Republican side,” Nachmany said. “I am confident the voters will make the right choice and the Republicans will put up a strong nominee.”

Campaign Director of NYU College Democrats and Tandon sophomore Fadumo Osman said she was satisfied with Obama’s address and his presidency as a whole. Osman also said she thought the three Democratic candidates are just as capable of achieving progress.

“President Obama took the time to highlight his accomplishments such as the Affordable Care Act and reducing unemployment,” Osman said. “Former Secretary Clinton, Senator Sanders and former Governor O’Malley have been able to articulate how they would continue Obama’s legacy while differentiating their own policies.”

Vice president of NYU Politics Society and CAS senior Mark Secada said although the club does not have a stance on the presidential election, they remain unconvinced by both of the major party candidates.

“The board members do not believe the candidates are compelling,” Secada said. “Both Republican and Democratic board members are not excited by Clinton, Sanders or many of the Republican candidates.”

Several NYU political clubs and societies do not publicly endorse or criticize any specific candidates. However, politically involved students and young registered voters such as Glaser have taken the initiative to share their final hopes.

However, 2016 could hold many surprises for politically active NYU students and the nation as a whole. According to the New York Times, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is considering a third-party run, which could divide Democratic and Republican parties alike. As the Iowa Caucus fast approaches on Feb. 1, CNN will host a final Democratic town-hall with Clinton, Sanders and O’Malley in Des Moines on Monday, Jan. 25.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 25 print edition. Email Momachi Pabrai at [email protected].

Looking Forward: The Best Five Films to Catch in 2016

Everyone in the film world is feverishly debating the Academy Awards nominations — but who cares? 2015 is so old news. It’s a new year and there’s a whole new slate of films to salivate over, some of which aren’t installments in tiresome, money-raking franchises that are all the rage these days.

Naturally, the most anticipated film of 2016 is one of those installments, though thankfully it comes from a galaxy far, far away. “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” looks to build off the ludicrous success of “Episode VII,” while adding some intrigue in its own right. The film depicts the fatal effort to steal the Death Star’s building plans for the famed attack that occurred in “Episode IV,” Felicity Jones, Ben Mendelsohn and Forest Whitaker make up a strong cast. Don’t be surprised if “Star Wars” robs your pocket yet again in December.

You won’t have to wait that long for an entertaining movie though, as the Coen Brothers return to their zany, dry brand of comedy with “Hail, Caesar!” Due out Feb. 5, the film is a period piece set in 1950s Hollywood where an actor, played by George Clooney, is kidnapped (in the midst of filming a Roman epic, no less) and efforts must be made to save him. Boasting a cast of Josh Brolin, Clooney, Ralph Fiennes, Scarlett Johansson, Frances McDormand and Channing Tatum, the Coen Brothers look ready to deliver another classic.

As for more serious fare, Michael Keaton is certain to generate buzz for “The Founder,” where he plays Ray Kroc, the man who turned McDonald’s into a multi billion-dollar chain. He maneuvered his way to the top, edging out the actual McDonald brothers from the company — the kind of dastardly business tactics that are likely to engross audiences come November.

Tisch alumnus Ang Lee will be offering some more Oscar material in November as well, with his adaptation of the uber-popular book “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk.” Featuring newcomer Joe Alwyn in the eponymous role, the film follows an army platoon celebrated during halftime of a Cowboys game, only to find out they’re to be sent back to war. Steve Martin, Vin Diesel and Kristen Stewart round out the cast that’s likely to jerk some tears.

Last but not least, 2016 will be graced with the newest feature from Tisch alumnus Martin Scorsese. “Silence” has all the makings of a hard hitter: Jesuit priests are captured in Japan by people who don’t take kindly to the word of the good Lord. Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver band together for a rather odd trio of clergymen, which may make for must-see cinema, whether they blend well or not at all. Unfortunately, it seems that Neeson may not be using any of his special set of skills from “Taken” in “Silence.” However, that’s no reason to be less excited for what seems to be a greatly promising year of film.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 25 print edition. Email Ethan Sapienza at [email protected].

Looking Forward: NYU Musicians With Big Plans

Twin Marquis (pictured) are just one of the many talented musicians at NYU who plan to release albums and EPs in 2016.

With the new year comes the promise of exciting new music, and musicians here at NYU plan to follow through. These up-and-coming acts have plenty in store for 2016, from gigs at some of the village’s renowned venues to plans for releasing new music and going on tour.

Kate Yeager

Singer-songwriter Kate Yeager is set to celebrate the release of her debut EP entitled “Your Girlfriend” with a release show  at the Bitter End on Feb. 3rd at 8 p.m. Yeager is an artist-in -residence at the famed venue this semester.

Following the release of “Your Girlfriend,” Yeager will be hosting an Inspired Word NYC open mic on Feb. 17 at Q4 Hotel, an event founded and produced by journalist Mike Geffner, and plans to release a single in March.

Twin Marquis

Twin Marquis began with a show at Pianos in 2013, when they had yet to write any songs. On Feb. 3 at 8 p.m., the group returns to Pianos for the first time since their start. They will also play at The Gateway on Feb. 15 at 10:30 p.m. The alt-rock band plans to release a studio version of their single “Shook” by March 2016, with an EP to come this summer.

Molly Chapman

Pop singer-songwriter Molly Chapman is celebrating the end of her teenage years with a birthday show at the Bitter End this Saturday, Jan. 30.

In early to mid-February, Chapman will be releasing her first music video for her song “See Through,” which is already available on iTunes, Spotify and Soundcloud as a part of her debut EP.

Karina Noel

Pop and soul singer-songwriter Karina Noel is currently working on recording a new EP to be released later this year, all while working at Universal for the semester, gaining experience with publicity and artist development.  Her debut EP “Blue Collar Love” is out now.

The Misters

Originating in a Third North dorm room, The Misters have quite the year ahead of them. Their first official single “Trip” is set to be released in early February, which will be accompanied by a short film on the recording process, complete with an acoustic performance from members Michael Nitting and Greg Jakubik in their old dorm. The duo will perform on March 8 at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn with Modern Diet and Vinegar Mother. Their spring break will tentatively be spent touring the east coast, with an EP to come in the summer.

https://soundcloud.com/the-misters-3/off-my-mind-in-the-summertime

Armen Paul

Singer-songwriter Armen Paul, who appeared on “The X Factor” back in 2014, is set to release the music video for his newest single, “To the Moon and Back”― filmed with 7 Wonders Cinema, a company founded and owned by Tisch students ― on Valentine’s Day this year. Paul can be seen performing at the Rockwood Music Hall this Thursday, Jan. 28 at 6 p.m., and at the Rock Shop in Brooklyn on Feb. 18. His next album is currently in the works, with the assistance of Grammy-winning producer Josh Thompson.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 25th print edition. Email Allison Stubblebine at [email protected].

Looking Forward: More and More Shows

As 2016 begins, more original TV shows are using Netflix as a platform to launch their series. The streaming service has found popularity among students, who favor ad-free entertainment and the convenience of binge watching. This year, Netflix will launch 31 new shows in conjunction with returns of current shows. Netflix’s roster for the spring demonstrates the company’s continued domination over cable networks.

Netflix kicked off their 2016 year with the premiere of “Chelsea Does,” comedian Chelsea Handler’s four-part non-fiction series. In her show, which premiered Jan. 22, Handler discusses some of the most prevalent topics of our generation, from race relations to Silicon Valley. The new series shows Handler’s more serious side in contrast to her sillier persona from her previous show, “Chelsea Lately.”

“Fuller House” also premieres this year on Feb. 26. The show is a spin-off of the beloved 90s classic “Full House.” “Fuller House” is set over 10 years later as DJ Tanner returns to her childhood home to raise a family with the help of her sister, Stephanie, and childhood best friend Kimmy. Bob Saget and John Stamos will rejoin many of their fellow original “Full House” stars. However, neither of the Olsen twins will be back to reprise their shared role of the family’s youngest daughter, Michelle Tanner.

Also coming to Netflix this February, just after Valentine’s Day on Feb. 19, is Judd Apatow’s series, “Love.” Apatow worked on hits such as “Girls,” “Bridesmaids” and “Trainwreck.” In a similar fashion, his new show follows the intimate life of a couple avoiding their marital problems and aims to explore both female and male outlooks on romantic relationships.

Netflix will also debut the second seasons of female-led breakout hits “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” and “Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” while political drama “House of Cards” and dark comedy “Orange is the New Black” will be premiering their fourth seasons.

All of these shows will only be available on Netflix. With 31 new shows set for 2016, Netflix is continuing to radically transform the way we watch TV. If you still prefer to wait up for your favorite show and take snack breaks during the commercials, you may be out of luck this year as the trend for new shows is headed towards streaming.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 25 print edition. Email Talia Milavetz at [email protected].

New Eats to Check Out Around Campus

With the new year and the new semester upon us, it’s time find a new restaurant to treat yourself to around campus

ABCV – 38 E 19th St., Union Square

After an eight month delay, Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s long awaited vegetarian version of his popular farm-to-table restaurant ABC Kitchen will soon be joining its predessor in the ABC Carpet and Home store on Broadway. ABCV, formerly known as ABC Home Grown, will be the award winning French chef’s first restaurant without any meat dishes. ABCV’s menu will include flavors from all across the globe but will exclude mock-meat dishes such as veggie burgers. According to Vongerichten himself, ABCV’s menu will be bean and root heavy and emulate the oven roasted vegetable dishes that are ABC Kitchen’s best sellers. ABCV is projected to open in late February or early March.

Quality Eats – 19 Greenwich Ave.

Michael Stillman, son of the founder of T.G.I. Friday’s, recently opened a spinoff of the Midtown steakhouse Quality Meats. The menu of Quality Eats offers lesser known and more student budget friendly steaks ranging from $19-29. The cuts of steaks aren’t the only things at Quality Eats that are unique, however. The menu also boasts entrees such as grilled bacon with peanut-butter-and-jalapeño jelly and creamed-spinach hush puppies and baked-potato monkey bread as side dishes. Quality Eats is now open for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch.

00 + Co – 65 Second Ave.

Plant-based diet chef Matthew Kennedy is opening a vegetarian spin off Co., the artisanal pizzeria in Chelsea. Completely vegan, 00 + Co’s pizza will be prepared in a wood burning oven and will be topped with nut-based cheeses, pestos and various vegetables. The restaurant’s menu will also boast small plates, vegan ice cream and organic wines. 00 + Co will open sometime in February.

Cafe Altro Paradiso – 234 Spring St., Hudson Square

Thomas Carter and Ignacio Mattos, the pair behind the eccentric mediterranean small-plate restaurant Estela, will soon be opening a new restaurant focused on Italian comfort food. Mattos has teased dishes such as bollito misto, lardo lasagnette, and ziti with broccoli and anchovies from Cafe Altro Paradiso’s fairly traditional Italian menu. The restaurant will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner in its bright open space ground by a large marble bar. Cafe Altro Paradiso is slated to open later this month.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 25 print edition. Email Taylor Nicole Rogers at [email protected].

Hockey Looking to Defend National Title

Last season, the NYU men’s hockey team went into the winter break with a 13-5 record. Though an impressive mark for a growing team, there was plenty of room for improvement. After returning in January of 2015, the Violets dominated the rest of the way, getting a tremendous boost from goaltender Sam Daley — whose ongoing recovery from a brain tumor was a source of inspiration for the team in their title run. Finishing 13-2-1 down the stretch, the team was able to parlay its success into an American Collegiate Hockey Association National Championship, hoisting its first ever trophy.

In many ways, this season seems familiar. The Violets finished the first half of this season with a 12-7 record, good enough for the third spot in the ACHA Northeast Region’s rankings. A young core of talent that showed flashes of excellence last season filled the noticeable void left after losing 11 seniors and a graduate student. Sophomore forward Michael Conslato, who finished last season tied for the fifth most points on the team, now leads the Violets through the first half with 25, including a team-high 14 goals.

Conslato isn’t the only spark. Sophomore forward Steven Esposito and junior defender Evan Ripley are right behind Conslato, combining for 38 points. Senior forward Denis O’Hara is on track to perhaps have his best season, with 10 goals and six assists thus far.

Again, the Violets have welcomed a stellar group of freshman onto their team. First-year forwards John Kowalewski, Keaton Baum and Hamilton Whyte have combined for 24 goals, nearly a third of the team’s scoring this season. Fellow freshmen Mason Gallegos, Connor Finocchio and Gabe Regan have proven to be more effective as facilitators, racking up assists. Entering the season’s second half, Regan remains goalless, but has assisted on nine goals. The team’s head coach, Chris Cosentino, is confident in his young squad’s ability to bring the heat every night.

We want to put our opponents through 60 minutes of hell every time they square up against us,” Cosentino said. “That is the goal, and if we execute that we will control our destiny.”

And then there is Daley. Forced to watch from the sidelines as his team marched its way to a title last season, Daley was determined to return better than ever. It’s now or never for the second semester senior.

Officially the Violets’ starting goaltender, Daley has been solid in the net so far this season. Going 4-2 in his six starts, Daley leads his fellow goaltenders in save percentage, giving up just 79 goals per 1000 shots.

Pieces new and old are in place for another magical run as the Violets begin their second half against Siena College. And with Daley back on the ice, this one may be even sweeter than the last.

Half our team is young and inexperienced,” Cosentino said, “but we are also damn good when we turn it on and put it all together.”

Follow the hockey team’s second half as WSN looks at the team’s quest for a second consecutive National Championship.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 25 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].

Violet Sports Gear Up For Success in New Year

With most of the NYU student body resting up for another semester, the university’s student athletes stayed busy in the month of January, trudging through a cold month of competition just as the sports calendar is ready to heat up.

NYU’s basketball teams have been stellar this season. Both were victorious in the final round of the NYU Holiday Classic on Jan. 3, as the men handled Emmanuel College 79-61, and the women got by Middlebury College 70-62. Two days later, the men continued their winning streak and crushed Wells College in their first road game of the season by 22 points. In their Jan. 9 University Athletic Association opener, the Violets were neck-and-neck with Brandeis for the entirety of the game, but managed to prevail by two in the end, 69-67. After dispatching Hunter College, 81-76, they suffered their first loss of the season on Jan. 15 against Emory University 71-64. The Violets immediately bounced back two days later with a spirited 77-67 win over the University of Rochester.

Meanwhile, the women’s team displayed its dominance and remained unbeaten in its UAA opener, defeating Brandeis University 57-46. Facing the same set of opponents as the men, they remained unbeaten against Hunter on Jan. 11 in a 27-point drubbing. The women then squeezed by Emory in a tight 48-45 contest, before their hopes for an undefeated season were crushed against Rochester, 73-54.

NYU’s men’s and women’s fencing teams competed Jan. 8-11 at the North American Cup. Junior Mickey Bak posted a 9-1 record in the junior men’s sabre competition for a tie for third place and a share of the bronze medal. He also posted a 6-5 record in Division I Men’s Sabre, good enough for an eighth-place finish. NYU’s men’s foil, women’s epee and women’s sabre teams placed third and earned bronze medals in their senior competitions.

In the pool, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams celebrated Family Day by dominating Springfield College on Jan. 16. The men swept every event, winning 188-98. The women weren’t far behind, winning most events easily for an impressive 177-115 victory.

Meanwhile, on the mat, the wrestling team took fifth place at the Citrus Open in Fort Lauderdale, FL on Dec. 30. At the annual National Wrestling Coaches Association Cliff Keen National Duals on Jan. 8, the Violets dropped their first two matches to Baldwin Wallace University and Luther College before bouncing back to defeat the University of Mount Union. They kept up their momentum on Jan. 17, placing first at the Jim Aguiar Invitational in New Hampshire.

As track and field starts its second week of action after getting off to a solid start, men’s volleyball is ready to begin. The team, ranked in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top ten, is prepared to have a strong season. Baseball and softball begin their second seasons since being resurrected alongside tennis on Feb. 27, while men’s and women’s golf resumes on March 12 at the UAA Championship in sunny Sorento, Florida. And with the latest extension of the Coles Sports and Recreation Center, basketball’s regular seasons will finish at the gym the teams have called home for over three decades. Both teams looked poised to finish the regular season strong, with the ultimate dream of National Championship glory in their sights.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 25 print edition. Email Ashley Arnold at [email protected].

Top 5 Events to Keep on Your Radar This Spring

Sure, the beginning of a new semester means new classes, but it also means a whole semester’s worth of new NYU events. Since no one wants to actually scan through every page of the NYU calendar, your WSN Features team has put together a do-list of the five best NYU events coming up this spring.

So You Think NYU Can Dance – Jan. 27

The reality competition show comes to NYU on Jan. 27 at 7 p.m. on the fourth floor of the Kimmel Center for University Life. Come show your moves to guest judges Alex Wong, a SYTYCD All-Star, and the cast of Newsies.

Ultra Violet Live – February

This talent show is no joke — Lady Gaga famously only finished third during her time at NYU. The best acts from each residence hall and one from the Greek System will compete in February at the Skirball center in this must-see NYU tradition.

Spring Fling Concert – Feb. 18

Originally scheduled to take place on the first day of the spring semester, Winter Storm Jonas pushed the concert back to the end of February. Come and check out headliner Betty Who before she performs at Governors Ball Music Festival this June.

Entrepreneurs Festival – March 4-5

This two-day event beginning on March 4 aims to help anyone at NYU with a great idea turn it into a startup. With a combination of educational speakers and hands-on workshops, the festival hopes to improve on last year’s total of more than 80 startups presented by the end of the weekend.

Strawberry Festival – May

The block-long strawberry shortcake might be the biggest draw to this annual tradition, but the festival has more to offer than just desserts. With contests like “Be the Strawberry,” carnival games and live music, this is the perfect way to enjoy spring at NYU.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 25 print edition. Email Kendall Levison at [email protected].

Fashion Week Sees Format Change

For the first time in 22 years the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) announced it would rethink the format of one of the most iconic events within the industry: New York Fashion Week. Since a phenomenon called “the burnout” caused many of fashion’s biggest influencers to leave, the fashion industry has been under close scrutiny. The infamous “burnout” was sparked when many leading industry creatives such as Alexander Wang, Raf Simons Albar Elbaz and now Grace Coddington stepped down from their roles as head designers and creative director of Vogue, respectively. It was announced in December that the CFDA sought out the Boston Consulting Group, whom the CFDA previously sought out to conduct a study regarding the future of the fashion, to conduct a study specific to the future of fashion shows.

The current format of New York Fashion Week consists of two shoes a year, where spring/summer collections are presented in September and the fall/winter collections are presented in February. The upcoming collections are presented well in advance of their in-store premiere. As a result, consumers are confused since the coverage and social media posts are delivered in real time.

Consumers now have 24/7 access to fashion shows through their Instagram feeds and industry influencers’ Snapchat accounts. Newspapers and magazines are no longer a consumer’s sole source into the elite world of fashion. So what does that mean for the media, who have dutifully reported fashion news and trends? It means news must evolve.

Looking ahead at this coming fashion week, it will remain true to its traditional roots with a few exceptions. As we saw last season, long gone are the traditional white tents of Bryant Park and the chic shine of Lincoln Center. The industry has traded in for the minimalist and industrial Skylight Clarkson Sq. Designer Rebecca Minkoff told Women’s Wear Daily she would be presenting her spring collection rather than her fall/winter this February. She did so in an effort that agrees with CFDA President Diane Von Furstenberg’s vision for the future of fashion week. A vision of a fashion week that is for the consumers rather than the press. Moreover Minkoff is going to make sure 30 to 50 percent of her audience are consumers.

Minkoff may be one of the first designers to move in this direction but she certainly won’t be the last. The format of New York Fashion Week is outdated and elitist for an industry that has made great strides in recent years to open itself to the masses. New York Fashion Week must and will evolve.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 25 print edition. Email Gabriella Bower at [email protected].