The “Vices” Issue

Kavish Harjai

Our generation does drugs. We make money in unorthodox ways. We are in unconventional relationships. We know this, but we hardly talk about our varied behaviors without sneering at those that are different from ours, denigrating each other based on a loose set of morals. For this reason, I wanted to provide an open forum to talk about topics ranging from unfulfilled open relationships to lucrative “sugar” relationships. This is WSN’s “Vices” issue, a conglomeration of student narratives and interviews that attempt to hurdle the stigma that comes with the word “vices.” These students are not the outliers of society, just as these “vices” are not symptomatic of deep personal or cultural problems. In fact, they’re not “vices” at all. This is our generation, speaking for ourselves.

Some of the topics are of a sensitive nature. For this reason, either the writers or those quoted in stories were protected by anonymity or given pseudonyms.

2 COMMENTS

1. I was robbed at the Bobst LIbrary. There are no cameras in any areas of the lower lobby. Security has been nasty and uncooperative. I was instructed to go to the precinct to fill out a report. The detective told me this crime is grand larceny which is happening on a regular basis at the library. He said NYU has been unresponsive to his concerns and recommendations to install cameras. Some of my belongings… (Nothing of value) was dispersed throughout the women’s bathroom, including the sanitary napkin bin. It has been a week and a half and I have yet to be contacted by campus security. These are students stealing from students. I feel violated and angry. It appears that NYU does not think that this topic is of concern, which is disappointing since the safety of students and their belongings should be an overwhelming priority. An article addressing this matter would bring attention to this matter. I would be most interested in providing my story.

2. NYU takes the safety, health, and well-being of all its students seriously. In light of the information shared in this issue, please remember that the professionals at the NYU Wellness Exchange are available 24/7 to any student who may want to discuss something that is of concern to them. Reach us by calling 212 443 9999. We can help students reduce health and safety risks. More generally, the Wellness Exchange can provide psychological support to any student regardless of their issue and can connect students with colleagues within NYU and externally in order to best address their health, safety, and academic concerns.