Photo of Kristian Burt

Kristian Burt, Editor-at-Large

Kristian Burt is a junior at the Gallatin School of Individualized Study concentrating in journalism and media ethics. He can often be found roaming the aisles at bookstores around Washington Square Park even though he hasn’t finished most of the books he already owns.

All content by Kristian Burt
An illustration of a megaphone with a red handle. Written in orange on the megaphone are the words “Staff Rants.”

Staff Rants: First day of classes

Welcome, or welcome back! WSN staff shares our thoughts and feelings about the start of the semester.

On Thursday: NYU feels very comfortable disrupting the traditional week by starting classes on a Thursday — and not only a regular Thursday, but a Thursday before a long weekend....

A close-up shot looking past the windshield of a car. A red circle inserted into the image highlights the head of Frank James, who can be seen as a blur in the background.

Relief in East Village after alleged Brooklyn shooter arrested

Frank James, the suspect in the Brooklyn subway shooting, was arrested on Wednesday, April 13, after Zack Dahhan spotted him walking on the First Avenue sidewalk.
Kristian Burt, Rachel Cohen and Abby Wilson April 13, 2022

Zack Dahhan was repairing security cameras inside of Saifee Hardware & Garden in the East Village when he saw Frank James — the man accused of the mass shooting in a subway...

NYU president Andrew Hamilton standing in the NYU School of Global Public Health. Behind Andrew Hamilton, a purple banner hangs with the NYU logo and the words “School of Global Public Health” in white letters. Hamilton is wearing a black blazer, white button-up shirt and bright purple tie.

Hamilton to step down as NYU president next year

University president Andrew Hamilton will resign from his role on June 30, 2023, and later rejoin NYU as a CAS chemistry professor.
Kristian Burt and Abby Wilson April 13, 2022

Andrew Hamilton will be stepping down as NYU’s president on June 30, 2023. After taking a sabbatical, he will join the College of Arts and Science as a professor in the chemistry...

An illustration of a wooden box in a park. A pair of legs with blue jeans and black Converse sneakers stands on top of the box. The box reads “WSN.”

The Soapbox: US prioritizes European refugees

The Soapbox is a weekly column by WSN’s news desk examining the major developments in world news and rounding up the stories we think are worth the read this week. Global consciousness for a global university.
Kristian Burt, News Editor March 25, 2022

Ukrainian refugees welcomed with open arms by US The United States is preparing to take in up to 100,000 Ukrainian refugees and donate more than $1 billion to help European countries...

The Soapbox: Sanctions on Russia deplete global resources

Kristian Burt, News Editor March 11, 2022

[Looking for the spring 2022 Arts Issue? Click here.] In Central Asia, migrant workers struggle to support their families Since the United States and European Union imposed sanctions...

The Soapbox: Migrants continue to suffer at borders

Kristian Burt, News Editor March 4, 2022

Polish and Ukrainian border guards reportedly discriminate against African and South Asian students Among the more than one million refugees who have fled Ukraine since the start...

A screenshot from CCTV video released by the NYPD Crime Stoppers Program. From above, a white-haired individual wearing a light blue short-sleeve T-shirt, dark-colored slim pants walks under scaffolding.

NYU Campus Safety to increase security after several students assaulted

After another student was attacked on campus on Feb. 25, the department will add security officers, cameras and lights east of Washington Square Park. A suspect in a similar string of assaults was arrested on March 2.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen March 3, 2022

NYU Campus Safety will install more security cameras east of Washington Square Park, add lighting to the scaffolding of university buildings and increase police presence around...

The Soapbox: Parties in power continue to suppress their opponents

Kristian Burt, News Editor February 18, 2022

A poisoned Putin opponent faces more jail time Alexei Navalny, one of Vladimir Putin’s top political opponents, went on trial Feb. 15 for embezzlement and contempt of court...

An illustration of the Washington Square Arch. Behind the arch sits gray and brown alternating high-rises. On the top right are the words “The Daybook” in an arched shape.

What to do this week: Valentine’s Day and more

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: Feb. 14 to Feb. 20.
Rachel Cohen and Kristian Burt February 14, 2022

A Valentine’s Day edition of “Office” trivia 8-9:30 p.m. at 225 E. 44th St. Free, open to the public Bring your special someone to Overlook NYC’s trivia night...

The Soapbox: The fight against sexual abuse continues

Kristian Burt, News Editor February 11, 2022

In the Catholic Church, religious leaders cover up abuse Former Pope Benedict XVI denied allegations of misconduct on Tuesday regarding the mishandling of sexual abuse cases involving...

What to do this week: MLK Week, New York Fashion Week

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: Attend NYU’s MLK Week events or watch the Super Bowl.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen February 6, 2022

A vigil for Michelle Go 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Zoom Free, open to the public Join the university community in a memorial for NYU alum Michelle Go, who was killed in the...

The Soapbox: Mexico, Congo, ISIS

Kristian Burt, News Editor February 4, 2022

In Mexico, four journalists killed in less than a month Roberto Toledo, a local reporter for Monitor Michoacán in the city of Zitácuaro, was the fourth journalist killed in...

What to do this week: Jan. 31-Feb. 6

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: watch a discounted Broadway show or join a conversation with Angela Davis.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 31, 2022

A food tour in the Village 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at 277 Bleecker St. $56 per ticket, open to the public Take a food tour across Greenwich Village and try the different cuisines...

The Soapbox: Burkina Faso, Storm Ana, Tonga

Kristian Burt, News Editor January 28, 2022

Burkina Faso becomes the latest coup in the Sahel Burkina Faso’s military has seized full control of the country after taking democratically elected President Roch Marc Christian...

What to do this week: Jan. 24-30

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 24, 2022

A conversation with Olympian and NYU alum Tom Feng 12-1 p.m. on Zoom Free, open to all members of the NYU community Tom Feng, a U.S. Olympian, is joining an alumni panel...

In a Jan 12. email, NYU announced that the spring 2022 semester will be held in-person. Schools, departments and faculty should offer students flexibility and allow for students to attend their classes remotely or through alternative methods due to the spike in cases of the omicron variant. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Spring 2022 semester will be in person, NYU says

The university formally announced that classes will be in person this semester amid a surge in cases of the omicron variant of COVID-19. Senior leadership provided rationales for their decision and emphasized the need for flexibility.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 12, 2022

The spring 2022 semester will be held in person as previously planned, NYU announced in a Jan. 12 email to the community. According to university leadership, high vaccination rates,...

An NYU alumni newsletter suggests that NYU will resume in-person instruction for the spring 2022 semester. The university has yet to officially announce its plans. (Staff Photo and Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli)

NYU alumni newsletter hints at in-person spring 2022 semester

An NYU webpage dated Jan. 15, 2022, states that NYU “is preparing to resume in-person instruction at the start of the spring semester” at its New York City campus and abroad sites.
Kristian Burt, Rachel Cohen and Alex Tey January 10, 2022

NYU appears prepared to start the spring semester with in-person classes, according to an alumni newsletter on the university’s website. The page, dated Jan. 15, 2022, seems...

NYU will announce its spring semester plans this week as the omicron variant continues to surge. Other New York City colleges and some NYU schools have already communicated virtual plans for the beginning of the spring semester. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

NYU to announce spring semester plans this week

The university will soon decide whether classes will remain in person or turn virtual for the spring 2022 semester as the omicron variant continues to drive high case rates.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 10, 2022

NYU expects to announce its spring semester plans this week, according to an email sent by university leadership to the community on Jan. 7. The directive will come amid the continued...

An NYU student was shot in the arm outside of a building at the Tandon School of Engineering on Sept. 21. The 17-year-old suspect was arrested yesterday, Jan. 4. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Tandon shooting suspect arrested

A suspect has been arrested in connection with the September shooting of an NYU student at the university’s Brooklyn Campus. The suspect and 16 other alleged gang members stand accused of a series of armed assaults and murders.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 5, 2022

The 17-year-old who allegedly shot an NYU student on the university’s Brooklyn campus in September was arrested on Jan. 4. He was indicted along with 16 other alleged gang members,...

Michael Steinhardt, after whom NYU Steinhardt is named, was recently ordered to surrender $70 million worth of stolen antiquities. This, coupled with sexual assault allegations, have driven the Department of Media, Culture and Communication to demand that their school be renamed. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli, Image via Wikimedia Commons)

Steinhardt MCC faculty also demand the school be renamed

Michael Steinhardt’s possession of stolen antiquities has led 26 professors from the department of Media, Culture, and Communication to demand their school be renamed — with some asking why such action was not taken following sexual assault allegations in 2019.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen December 10, 2021

Twenty-six professors from the department of Media, Culture, and Communication issued a statement denouncing the name of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human...

Michael Steinhardt, after whom NYU Steinhardt is named, was recently ordered to surrender $70 million worth of stolen antiquities. Steinhardt student groups are demanding the name be removed after a similar demand was ignored after Michael Steinhardt’s sexual harrassment case in 2018. (Staff Photo by Nicolas Pedrero-Setzer)

Trustees will probe Michael Steinhardt’s conduct, NYU says

Responding to backlash over the results of a criminal investigation into prominent trustee and donor Michael Steinhardt, NYU’s board of trustees announced that it will begin an inquiry.
Kristian Burt, Deputy News Editor December 9, 2021

NYU’s board of trustees said they will initiate an investigation into the conduct of Michael Steinhardt, namesake of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development,...

The Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development student governments are campaigning for removal of the Steinhardt name. This comes after Michael Steinhardt was ordered to surrender $70 million of stolen antiquities. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Steinhardt student governments call for school to be renamed

The undergraduate and graduate student governments at the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development are penning a joint letter asking for the Steinhardt name to be removed from the school.
Kristian Burt, Deputy News Editor December 8, 2021

One day after Wall Street financier Michael Steinhardt was ordered to surrender $70 million of stolen antiquities following an investigation by the Manhattan district attorney,...

The fall semester CAS Student Council Town Hall was held on Dec. 7 in Jurow Hall located on the first floor of Silver Center. This town hall had virtual and in-person participation options and students could submit questions for the panelists beforehand. (Staff Photo by Shaina Ahmed)

CAS admins field questions on academic opportunities and mental health

Interim CAS dean Matthew Santirocco held his first town hall of the semester in its last week, focusing on student mental health resources and academic opportunities.

Matthew Santirocco, interim dean of NYU’s College of Arts and Science, presided over a town hall discussing student mental health resources and opportunities for students on...

Michael Steinhardt and his wife, Judy Steinhardt made two $10 million donations to the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development in 2001. Michael Steinhardt was ordered to surrender 180 stolen antiques worth $70 million on Dec. 6 and received a lifetime ban on acquiring artifacts. (Image via nyu.edu)

Michael Steinhardt surrenders stolen antiquities worth $70 million 

The NYU trustee and Steinhardt school namesake was ordered to turn over 180 stolen antiquities after a four-year investigation by the Manhattan district attorney.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen December 7, 2021

Michael Steinhardt, after whom the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development is named, was ordered to surrender 180 stolen antiquities worth $70 million on...

College Republicans president Gianna Guzzo (left), a Steinhardt senior, debated with College Democrats president Elina Rodriguez (right), a CAS sophomore, during the NYU Interclub Politics Society Debate on Dec. 1. (Staff Photo by Kristian Burt)

NYU Dems and Republicans debate prisons, education, drugs

Representatives of the two campus organizations clashed on drug decriminalization, prison policy and higher education funding at the NYU Politics Society debate.
Kristian Burt, Deputy News Editor December 3, 2021

At a debate hosted by the NYU Politics Society on Wednesday, NYU’s College Democrats and College Republicans faced off over for-profit prisons, higher education funding and drug...

The Sydney Harbor Bridge is located near the University of Sydney in Australia, which recently reopened to NYU students as a global study away site. Starting next July, NYU students will be able to take classes at the University of Sydney. (Photo by Julia Moses)

Australia study away program expanded through NYU-University of Sydney partnership

NYU and the University of Sydney announced a new partnership starting next July, allowing students and faculty to participate in programs at either institution.
Kristian Burt, Deputy News Editor December 2, 2021

NYU students will be able to take courses at the University of Sydney’s Camperdown and Darlington campus starting July 2022. University of Sydney students will also be able to...

The Soapbox: New Delhi, Kashmir, white supremacy

Kristian Burt, Deputy News Editor November 19, 2021

In New Delhi, smog forces schools to close Authorities in the Indian capital of New Delhi initiated a lockdown of some government facilities, including schools and coal power...

NYU’s LGBTQ+ Center and Global Spiritual Life hosted Black trans activist and award-winning writer Raquel Willis for a panel discussing excellence in the Black trans community. During the panel, Willis spoke about her recent projects that aimed to humanize trans victims of violence and discrimination. (Image via nyu.edu)

Black trans activist Raquel Willis talks resistance and remembrance

NYU’s LGBTQ+ Center began Trans Awareness Week with a panel featuring Raquel Willis, an award-winning writer and activist.
Kristian Burt and Suhail Gharaibeh November 16, 2021

Activist and writer Raquel Willis joined NYU’s LGBTQ+ and Global Spiritual Life centers Monday evening for a panel discussion about her views on activism and spirituality as...

A break-in occurred at a room in Lafayette Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 3. After the incident was reported to dorm authorities, it took over an hour for security to arrive and remove the intruder. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Repeat dorm intruder infiltrates Lafayette, security response delayed

NYU security took over an hour to arrive when two Lafayette residents reported a stranger in their room harassing them and refusing to leave. This was the second time that the intruder was snuck into the dorm by the same hall resident.
Arnav Binaykia and Kristian Burt November 12, 2021

Content warning: This article contains descriptions of sexual harassment.  An outsider not affiliated with NYU gained unauthorized access to Lafayette Hall and harassed two...

BREAKING NEWS: ​​NYU received bomb threats targeting the Stern School of Business and the Center for Neural Science. Students have been instructed to evacuate to Bobst Library and the Kimmel Center. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Bomb threats at NYU force evacuations

NYU received bomb threats targeting the Stern School of Business and the Center for Neural Science. Buildings across campus were evacuated, but are now clear to reenter. Classes will proceed as normal on Nov. 12.

NYU received bomb threats at the Stern School of Business and Center for Neural Science. The Hebrew Union College, an independent institution not affiliated with NYU, also received...

A joint NYU-Columbia study reported that ketamine use has steadily increased across all demographics. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

The club is bumping: Recreational ketamine use on the rise, Langone study finds

According to a study conducted at NYU Langone, nonmedical ketamine availability has risen in recent years, but usage still remains limited to below 1% of the general population.
Kristian Burt, Deputy News Editor November 8, 2021

Recreational ketamine use has reached a high after steadily increasing in recent years, according to a joint NYU-Columbia University study published in the American Journal of...

On Sunday, Nov. 7, Brown University, Columbia University and Cornell University received bomb threats. Both Cornell and Brown received bomb threats by phone and Columbia’s evacuations appeared to be in response to two threats posted by a Twitter account. (Images via Wikimedia Commons)

Bomb threats force evacuations at Brown, Columbia, Cornell

Brown, Columbia and Cornell Universities are the latest in a slew of bomb threats targeting universities across the United States this past week.

Brown University, Columbia University and Cornell University received bomb threats on the afternoon of Sunday, Nov. 7. Brown evacuated all buildings on the Main Green, Columbia...

Those who knew longtime entertainment writing professor Imani Douglas gathered at Gallatin to remember her life. Students and fellow faculty shared the impact that the playwright and theater director had on their lives. (Image courtesy of Michael Wess)

Imani Douglas, late playwright and NYU prof, memorialized at Gallatin service

The Gallatin School of Individualized Study hosted a memorial service for Imani Douglas, who taught television writing at the school for over 20 years and worked on a range of pioneering theatrical productions.
Kristian Burt, Staff Writer October 27, 2021

Imani Douglas, a longtime member of the faculty at the Gallatin School of Individualized Study, died at 67 in May. She taught entertainment writing at Gallatin during the two...

New York state RNC director Katie Bloodgood spoke about Republican students’ experience at NYU, a university with a generally liberal community. During the Oct. 13 event, she addressed controversial questions and said that Republicans are frequently misunderstood. (Photo by Anna Letson, Staff Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli)

College Republicans talk being conservative at NYU with state GOP director

New York state GOP director Katie Bloodgood answered a wide range of questions from NYU’s College Republicans during a virtual event on Oct. 13.
Kristian Burt, Staff Writer October 19, 2021

At a meeting with NYU’s College Republicans, Katie Bloodgood, the New York state director of the Republican National Committee, said she empathizes with GOP supporters at NYU. “My...

On Oct. 4, the CDC recommended a booster shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech for those who received their second dose at least six months ago. This left members of the NYU community wondering who is eligible to get their third shot. (Staff Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli)

Explained: COVID-19 booster shots, and who can get one

The CDC’s recent booster shot recommendation left members of the NYU community wondering who is eligible to receive an extra dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Kristian Burt, Staff Writer October 14, 2021

Editor’s note: This article was published in October 2021. Guidelines and requirements from NYU and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may have since changed. On...

NYU Law Dean Trevor Morrison will be stepping down at the end of the academic year. He has held the position since 2013. (Image via nyu.edu)

NYU Law dean Trevor Morrison to resign

Trevor Morrison, a tenured dean at NYU’s School of Law, announced that he will step down at the end of the current academic year after nine years as dean.
Kristian Burt, Contributing Writer October 8, 2021

Dean Trevor Morrison of the NYU School of Law announced Oct. 7 that he will be stepping down at the end of the 2021-22 academic year in an email to the law school community. Morrison...

National student loan debt reached a record high in 2021, leaving millions of Americans struggling to pay back their debt. As January approaches and the pause on student loan payments reverses, NYC’s Debt Collective — the first national union of debtors — seeks to cancel the destructive debt cycle once and for all. (Photo by Kristian Burt)

NYC Debt Collective seeks to end student loan burdens

With national student debt at a record high, the New York City chapter of a national debtors’ union is seeking to cancel loan payments through legal action and community organizing.
Kristian Burt, Contributing Writer October 5, 2021

CAS sophomore Anthony Portillo was walking through Washington Square Park in September when he noticed a stand with the words “Biden, sign the executive order” emblazoned on...