Alex Tran

Alex Tran, Culture Editor

Alex Tran is a senior majoring in Media, Culture, and Communication. She's in love with culinary art, environmental protection and media production, with a life-long dream of driving a food truck across the country. While she's currently on a social hiatus, you will be kindly followed back if you follow her @bullsocool on Instagram.

All content by Alex Tran
Exterior photo of the N.Y.U. Office of Global Services with white text reading “383 Lafayette” on the window.

Photo: Opinion: NYU needs to support its documented dreamers

Oct 21, 2022

File photo: In addition to F-1/J-1 international students, “documented dreamers” with H-4 visas face a set of unique challenges studying at NYU. (Alex Tran for WSN)

The three members of the Korean indie band SE SO NEON. The picture is taken from the hip up; two of them are laughing and the other one is holding the neck of an electric guitar.

Meet SE SO NEON: A band remaking the K-indie image

You might be wondering who SE SO NEON is. They don’t know yet either — but they’re coming to New York City on March 31 to figure it out.
Alex Tran, Culture Editor Mar 24, 2022

I found SE SO NEON the way anyone would find an indie band — through YouTube recommendations. On one of many sad and lonely days during the pandemic, “NAN CHUN” popped up...

Martin Fritsche stands outside Bobst Library holding a white rose.

Q&A: Meet the guy behind the rose cart

The street florist who’s been selling roses outside of Bobst since September has much more to say than just “roses, roses.”
Alex Tran, Culture Editor Feb 22, 2022

If you’ve walked by Bobst Library this semester, or even down Washington Square South, chances are you have run into an old man selling roses, or have heard him softly saying...

The youngest contestant on ”The School of Chocolate,” Daniel Corpuz, is in Manhattan for a pop-up shop at Canal Street Market. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

‘School of Chocolate’ chef Daniel Corpuz brings Valentine’s pop-up to West Village

The youngest contestant on Netflix’s latest cooking show, “School of Chocolate,” shares his culinary journey, a cookie recipe and a special perk for NYU students this Valentine’s Day.
Alex Tran, Culture Editor Feb 8, 2022

During my winter-break baking spree, I binge-watched chef Amaury Guichon’s strangely meditative “School of Chocolate,” a chocolate-making competition for seasoned professional...

Third floor, room 335B, at 15 Barclay St. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Your guide to NYU’s Quick Stops

The Culture Desk and Ryan Kawahara Feb 7, 2022

NYU students celebrate Lunar New Year despite the pandemic and classes. (Staff Illustration by Susan Behrends Valenzuela)

Just another day: Lunar New Year at NYU

The unrelenting nature of being a student at NYU and resident of New York City can take the meaning out of most things in life. Lunar New Year is no exception.
Alex Tran, Culture Editor Feb 1, 2022

“Lunar New Year.” An alarm popped up on my laptop screen, the way it would for an assignment, class, meeting or work shift. I was scrambling my way through the mountain...

The holidays can be expensive. Here are some items that are worth the hefty price tag. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Sometimes, expensive gifts… are better

If you’re at NYU, there’s a decent chance that you know some rich people who helped get you here. Here are expensive gifts that are actually worth the money that you can ask them for.
Alexandra Chan, Alex Tey, and Alex Tran Dec 10, 2021

As winter break approaches, here’s a holiday gift guide to help you to take advantage of the rich people in your life. When they ask how to ease their conscience, you can answer...

A break-in occurred at a room in Lafayette Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 3. After the incident was reported to dorm authorities, it took over an hour for security to arrive and remove the intruder. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Repeat dorm intruder infiltrates Lafayette, security response delayed

Nov 12, 2021

A break-in occurred at a room in Lafayette Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 3. After the incident was reported to dorm authorities, it took over an hour for security to arrive and remove...

(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)

I tried every dollar pizza store around campus 

In celebration of National Pizza Month, I visited every dollar pizza store around NYU’s campuses in Brooklyn and Manhattan. 
Alex Tran, Deputy Culture Editor Oct 28, 2021

383 Lafayette St. houses the Office of the Bursar which deals with student financial aid. When it comes to financial aid allocation, transfer students are at a great disadvantage. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Opinion: NYU should expand institutional financial aid for transfer students

Oct 4, 2021

383 Lafayette St. houses the Office of the Bursar which deals with student financial aid. When it comes to financial aid allocation, transfer students are at a great disadvantage....

Visitors crowd the Annual Feast of San Gennaro, held in Little Italy. Despite the name of the neighborhood, the Italian population in Little Italy has been decreasing and replaced by white collar workers. (Staff Photo by Jake Capriotti)

The Feast of San Gennaro bodes ill for Little Italy

The shocking number of piña colada stations at the Feast of San Gennaro 2021 may reflect more than just a dying tradition.
Alex Tran, Deputy Culture Editor Sep 21, 2021

As a student dorming at Broome Street Residential College, right by Little Italy, I felt obligated to join in the crowd for the Feast of San Gennaro. I’d walked home the previous...

Washington Square Park is the center of both NYU and the surrounding Greenwich Village neighborhood. There is a certain culture of etiquette that new students should abide by when out in New York City. (Staff Photo by Alexandra Chan)

The culture editors’ guide to on-campus etiquette

From the L Train to L Train Vintage, we’ve got you covered.
Alex Tran, Sabrina Choudhary, and Joey Hung Aug 30, 2021

Hello, NYU students! Congratulations to those of you who are new here, and welcome back to our returning students. We recognize that some of you have never stepped foot on campus...

Bo Burnham concluded his last comedy special, “Make Happy,” in 2016. Burnham will be returning with a brand new special that he filmed alone over the course of the past year. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Bo Burnham surprises fans with upcoming Netflix special

Caitlin Hsu, Under the Arch Managing Editor Apr 29, 2021

Bo Burnham concluded his last comedy special, “Make Happy,” in 2016. Burnham will be returning with a brand new special that he filmed alone over the course of the past year....

Another Round takes place in Copenhagen, where the town’s youth partake in chaotic drinking games to offset the stress of their exams. This sets the stage for the prevalence of drinking culture in the film. The main character, Martin, is a depressed and unsatisfied school teacher who decides to test out a theory that humans are born with a blood alcohol content that’s too low and drinking actually helps people reach their full potential, both professionally and emotionally. (Images by Sophia Di Iorio, Debbie Alalaide. Staff Illustration by Alex Tran)

Photo: ‘Another Round’ review: An intoxicating film about drinking to find meaning

Sophia Carr, Staff Writer Apr 22, 2021

"Another Round" takes place in Copenhagen, where the town’s youth partake in chaotic drinking games to offset the stress of their exams. This sets the stage for the prevalence...

Written by and starring Wiig and Mumolo as the titular Barb and Star, Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar tracks the two middling yet eternally chipper divorcees from Nebraska after they lose their dream jobs working at a furniture outlet. The film also features a stunning performance by Jamie Dornan as the main villains henchman. (Images by Julia McNeil, Charlie Dodge, Yuzhi Huang. Staff Illustration by Alex Tran)

Photo: ‘Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar’ review: the glory in being gaudy

Apr 21, 2021

Written by and starring Wiig and Mumolo as the titular Barb and Star, "Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar" tracks the two middling yet eternally chipper divorcees from Nebraska...

A collection of weird Tom and Jerry knock-offs licensed under Creative Commons. How they make you feel is exactly like the way the newest live-action of the duo would: disappointed. (Staff Illustration by Alex Tran)

Photo: ‘Tom and Jerry’ review: A lifeless attempt at updating the classic tale of cat and mouse

Saige Gipson, Contributing Writer Apr 1, 2021

A collection of weird "Tom and Jerry" knock-offs licensed under Creative Commons. How they make you feel is exactly like the way the newest live-action of the duo would: disappointed....

Helping out in the kitchen, having a  relaxing movie night, or writing to family members. Listen to the traditions that are keeping us sane in the middle of the pandemic. (Photo by Sammy Tavassoli, Alana Beyer and Alex Tran. Staff Illustration by Alex Tran)

Photo: Culture Desk Staff: The Traditions That Keep Us Grounded

Mar 8, 2021

Helping out in the kitchen, having a relaxing movie night, or writing to family members. Listen to the traditions that are keeping us sane in the middle of the pandemic. (Photo...

The NYU Center for Cybersecurity is a collaboration among NYU School of Law, NYU Tandon School of Engineering, the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, and other NYU schools and departments. Maxwell Aliapoulios, a PhD student and researcher at the center, received advance access to GabLeaks and briefly reviewed the data. (Photo by Nina Schifano, Alana Beyer and Jake Capriotti. Staff Illustration by Alex Tran)

Photo: Transparency collective publishes 70 gigabytes of data hacked from right-wing social media network

Mar 8, 2021

The NYU Center for Cybersecurity is a collaboration among NYU School of Law, NYU Tandon School of Engineering, the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development,...

Corpus Christi is a 2019 Polish drama film directed by Jan Komasa and written by Mateusz Pacewicz. While the film, nominated for Best International Film at the 92nd Academy Awards, is not a thriller, it is an intensely vigorous investigation of what true faith really means without pages of scripture or layers of uniform to hide behind. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Reinventing the Face of Faith in ‘Corpus Christi’

May 6, 2020

Corpus Christi is a 2019 Polish drama film directed by Jan Komasa and written by Mateusz Pacewicz. While the film, nominated for Best International Film at the 92nd Academy Awards,...

“Freaks and Geeks” is a teen comedy-drama created by Paul Feig and Judd Apatow that aired on NBC in 1999. The show is cancelled after only 18 episodes but still able to capture your varying quarantine emotions. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Rediscovering the Gem That Is ‘Freaks and Geeks’ During Quarantine

Apr 29, 2020

“Freaks and Geeks” is a teen comedy-drama created by Paul Feig and Judd Apatow that aired on NBC in 1999. The show is cancelled after only 18 episodes but still able to capture...

Onward is Pixars latest original project since 2017s Coco.  The film focuses on a family of elves: lanky and socially awkward Ian (Tom Holland), his overbearing, slacker older brother Barley (Chris Pratt) and their widowed mother Laurel (Julia Louis-Dreyfus). (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: ‘Onward’: an Almost Satisfying Journey

Isabella Armus, Staff Writer Apr 8, 2020

"Onward" is Pixar's latest original project since 2017's "Coco." The film focuses on a family of elves: lanky and socially awkward Ian (Tom Holland), his overbearing, slacker...

Childish Gambino just dropped his newest album 3.15.20 on March 21st. Despite the unprecedented drop, 3.15.20 failed to offer anything new or worthwhile. (Staff Illustration by Alex Tran)

Photo: Childish Gambino’s Latest Is A Full-Blown Disaster

Mar 25, 2020

Childish Gambino just dropped his newest album "3.15.20" on March 21st. Despite the unprecedented drop, "3.15.20" failed to offer anything new or worthwhile. (Staff Illustration...

Bacon, egg and cheese bagel can be the best cure after a crazy night. While you can get it anywhere from dining halls to food trucks, it is best at Tompkins Square Bagels. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: An NYU Student’s Guide to Hangover Cures

Mar 11, 2020

Bacon, egg and cheese bagel can be the best cure after a crazy night. While you can get it anywhere from dining halls to food trucks, it is best at Tompkins Square Bagels. (Staff...

Wildair is a small natural wine bar in the Lower East Side. With its appeal of versatility, this place is an ideal place for a date, drinks with friends or a glass of wine enjoyed with some delicious snacks. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Lower East Side’s Secret Hideout: Wildair Wine Bar

Mar 11, 2020

Wildair is a small natural wine bar in the Lower East Side. With its appeal of versatility, this place is an ideal place for a date, drinks with friends or a glass of wine enjoyed...

A sign outside of Matto Coffee. The small shop is featured on our list of 5 or Less Eats that aren’t pizza. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: 5 Under 5: Eat for $5 or Less Around Campus

Mar 9, 2020

Acclaimed author and journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates was featured in a panel hosted by CAS junior Sakshi Venkatraman. Coates touched on issues dealing with journalism in the current political climate. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Ta-Nehisi Coates Talks Political Writing With Former WSN EIC

Mar 6, 2020

Acclaimed author and journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates was featured in a panel hosted by CAS junior Sakshi Venkatraman. Coates touched on issues dealing with journalism in the current...

Some NYU students from abroad sites receive emails from the school regarding the Coronavirus situation. They were offered the option to go home and take online classes. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: NYU Offers Students Abroad Remote Classes

Mar 4, 2020

Some NYU students from abroad sites receive emails from the school regarding the Coronavirus situation. They were offered the option to go home and take online classes. (Staff...

Famous for Nicole Kidman and Ewan Mcgregor, fearlessness, and undeniably catchy songs, “Moulin Rouge!” is a cinema classic. After finding its way to the stage of Broadway, it still managed to offer a fresh and engaging experience while remaining loyal to the film. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Does ‘Moulin Rouge!’ Deserve to Be on Broadway?

Mar 4, 2020

Famous for Nicole Kidman and Ewan Mcgregor, fearlessness, and undeniably catchy songs, “Moulin Rouge!” is a cinema classic. After finding its way to the stage of Broadway,...

Lupa is a small Italian eatery on 170 Thompson St. Providing cheese-laden food with plenty of vegan-friendly options, this restaurant can help you find alternatives that actually taste good. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Get by Without by Chloe: The Best Vegan Foods

Mar 4, 2020

Lupa is a small Italian eatery on 170 Thompson St. Providing cheese-laden food with plenty of vegan-friendly options, this restaurant can help you find alternatives that actually...

Panelists at SGA’s Emergency Preparedness Town Hall prepare to speak to the audience. Student Government Chairperson Jakiyah Bradley and NYU President Andrew Hamilton responded to questions submitted online. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Hamilton Advises ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ at Town Hall

Mar 2, 2020

Panelists at SGA’s Emergency Preparedness Town Hall prepare to speak to the audience. Student Government Chairperson Jakiyah Bradley and NYU President Andrew Hamilton responded...

The lyrical styles of King Krule mix machinery with acoustic lyrics. King Krule’s third studio album, “Man Alive!” is an encapsulation of the range of his musical inspirations and talents.(Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: King Krule Falls Into Space on the Subway

Alexandra Bentzien, Staff Writer Mar 2, 2020

The lyrical styles of King Krule mix machinery with acoustic lyrics. King Krule’s third studio album, “Man Alive!” is an encapsulation of the range of his musical inspirations...

Miss Anthropocene, Grimes latest album, is a dark and mysterious masterpiece. It also acted as a perfect vessel for Grimes to continue to sport her classic gothic swagger under the veil of electrobeats. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Grimes’ ‘Miss Anthropocene’ Declares Oblivion

Feb 26, 2020

"Miss Anthropocene," Grime's latest album, is a dark and mysterious masterpiece. It also acted as a perfect vessel for Grimes to continue to sport her classic gothic swagger under...

Members from Share Meals present their application at the Town Hall. Downloading this app is an initiative you can take to improve food security at NYU. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: SGA Chairperson Hosts Town Hall on Food Insecurity

Feb 26, 2020

NYU’s Bursar Office dealing with financial-aid issues is located in the StudentLink Center at 383 Lafayette. Some NYU students have received identical financial aid awards to last year, despite an increase in tuition. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: NYU Raising Tuition Amid COVID-19 Pandemic

Jun 26, 2020

NYU’s Bursar Office dealing with financial-aid issues is located in the StudentLink Center at 383 Lafayette. Some NYU students have received identical financial aid awards to...

A student looks up at the Washington Square Park arch, a hallmark of NYUs campus. An email sent out by Provost Katherine Fleming announced that NYU plans to return to campus in the fall. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: NYU Announces Intent to Return to In Person Classes in the Fall

May 19, 2020

A student looks up at the Washington Square Park arch, a hallmark of NYU's campus. An email sent out by Provost Katherine Fleming announced that NYU plans to return to campus in...

NYU President Andrew Hamilton stops to view a particularly intense table tennis game. Representatives from each NYU school participated in various sports at the All-University Games. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: NYU Students Exhibit School Pride Through All-University Games

Kevin Ryu, Staff Writer Feb 24, 2020

NYU President Andrew Hamilton stops to view a particularly intense table tennis game. Representatives from each NYU school participated in various sports at the All-University...

Time is a prevailing theme in The Slow Rush, Tame Impalas newest album. Though many songs feature signature sounds from Kevin Parker, others showcase his diverse skills as a hip hop producer. (Staff photo by Alex Tran, Staff illustration by Chelsea Li)

Photo: ‘The Slow Rush’ Is Tame Impala’s Most Introspective Album to Date

Ana Cubas, Contributing Writer Feb 18, 2020

Time is a prevailing theme in "The Slow Rush," Tame Impala's newest album. Though many songs feature signature sounds from Kevin Parker, others showcase his diverse skills as a...

The boardwalk at Coney Island quiets down as visitors dwindle for the day. Peaceful moments can be hard to find in Manhattan, causing students to branch out and explore different boroughs. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: The World Beyond Manhattan

Feb 18, 2020

The boardwalk at Coney Island quiets down as visitors dwindle for the day. Peaceful moments can be hard to find in Manhattan, causing students to branch out and explore different...

NYU provides students with the option to include their pronouns on Albert. They can also choose not to disclose them if they feel uncomfortable. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Students Can Now Add Pronouns on Albert

Feb 12, 2020

Valentines Day is coming to town. Listen to WSN for some gift ideas that would blow your significant others mind. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Four Unique Valentine’s Day Gifts to Surprise Your Loved Ones

Feb 13, 2020

Valentine's Day is coming to town. Listen to WSN for some gift ideas that would blow your significant other's mind. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

SERRA ALPINA by Birreria in Eataly is a trendy restaurant on social media. Despite the unique concept, it provided a rather underwhelming experience. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Trendy Italian Restaurant Puts Style Over Substance

Feb 12, 2020

Finlay Mangan is a freshman from CAS. His career just happened to start with modeling for Gucci’s 2020 Autumn Winter Menswear runway show at Milan Fashion Week. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: From Student to Gucci Runway Model in Just a Few Months

Feb 9, 2020

Finlay Mangan is a freshman from CAS. His career just happened to start with modeling for Gucci’s 2020 Autumn Winter Menswear runway show at Milan Fashion Week. (Staff photo...

Dr. Inga Winkler discussed the conversation surrounding menstruation and remaining cultural stigma. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Menstruation as a Human Right, NYU Talk Discusses Cultural Stigma

Feb 5, 2020

While many small businesses are cash only, all businesses are required to accept cash due to a new NYC law. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Cash is Back!

Feb 3, 2020

by Chloes Chicky Chicky tenders have everything but the taste of our lovely snack. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Photo: Chicky Chicky or Icky Chicky?

Ria Mittal, Contributing Writer Feb 3, 2020

by Chloe's Chicky Chicky tenders have everything but the taste of our lovely snack. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

Food banks such as The Bowery Mission serve those in need, especially during cold winter months. (Via Facebook)

Five Ways to Give Back in New York Over Thanksgiving

Take a break from arguing with your family and spread some cheer in New York this holiday season.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Nov 27, 2019

While Thanksgiving is a time to celebrate with loved ones, gorge yourself on turkey and argue about politics with your estranged relatives, it’s also a time to give back to your...

Pulling an all-nighter at Bobst means lots of coffee and snacks to get you through the night. (Photo by Alex Tran)

How to Pull an All-Nighter at Bobst, and Eat Too

Spending a night at Bobst can be less horrible when you learn how to finesse food and drinks.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Nov 26, 2019

11 p.m. rolled around, and that’s when I realized there was simply no way for me to finish my 2,000 word essay before bedtime. Admitting defeat, I shamefully shrunk into my hoodie...

The turnstile in which students swipe into their NYU dorms. NYUs Bed-for-Bed Exchange Forum helps students move into a difference room or dorm, even during the middle of the semester. (Staff Photo by Ishaan Parmar)

Save Yourself Roommate Horror Stories With Bed-for-Bed

Can’t put up with your roomies? Bed-for-Bed might be the solution.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Nov 4, 2019

Roommate horror stories can make you laugh in hindsight, but reliving them every day isn’t as funny. Luckily, NYU offers a solution: the Bed-for-Bed Exchange Forum. This program...

Bella Gil wearing her cross necklace. There are stories behind students favorite accessories. (Staff Photo by Elaine Chen)

Students Share Secrets Behind their Shiny Jewelry

What stories lie behind these students’ favorite accessories?
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Oct 31, 2019

Jewelry can serve as a shiny addition that ties our outfits together. Yet behind the initial glare, these accessories can carry the sweetest stories. Steinhardt first-year Lexi...

Students are choosing to dye hair themselves in the dorms rather than pay for expensive dye jobs at the salon. (Photo by Patrick Tan)

The Plusses and Pitfalls of Being Your Own Barber

NYU students talk about their experiences doing their hair on campus.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Oct 24, 2019

Unless you can rock a look like The Rock or Charles Xavier, hair is one accessory you can’t get rid of. A bad hair day can be covered up with a cute beanie or bucket hat, but...

Sweetgreen is just one of the many dining options professors opt for near campus. (Via Wikimedia)

The Favorite Campus Food Stops for NYU Faculty

Because professors need to eat too.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Oct 15, 2019

In the rush between classes, students have plenty of options for sustenance: Mediterranean fare from Kimmel Marketplace, a spicy chicken sandwich from Weinstein Food Court’s...

Steinhardt seniors Brianna Dishman and Zach Gulino join hands in the park. (Photo by Talia Barton)

High School Romances That Defied All Odds

These high school sweethearts have miraculously stayed together through their time at NYU.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Oct 2, 2019

The rush of being a new college student can often erase the person we were in high school. The barrage of assignments makes you wonder why you were so stressed about the SATs....

(Illustration by Sophia Di Iorio)

Wall-Punching and Puke: Roommate Worst Nightmares

With 26,000 undergraduates, students are bound to experience at least one roommate horror story in their time here. Enjoy these particularly harrowing examples.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Sep 30, 2019

Unless you can afford New York City’s astronomical rent prices solo, odds are you will end up sharing your living quarters during your NYU career and beyond. While NYU’s quasi-random...

Food Gallery 32 is a multi-level food court located in the heart of Manhattan’s Koreatown. (Photo by Helen Chen)

Authentic Korean Cuisine Near NYU

Experience a variety of authentic Korean food with these five restaurants.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Sep 17, 2019

The rise in popularity of K-Pop in America brought with it a love for Korean music, culture and, perhaps most importantly, Korean food.  International Korean students attending...

Students and faculty reflect on how they acquired their first high end purchase and what it means to them. (Photo by Alex Tran)

Worth the Investment? The Hidden Payoffs of High Fashion

From confidence to conservation, your first luxury purchase can reflect your values in a way that’s worth the investment.
Alex Tran, Contributing Writer Sep 12, 2019

The first high-end purchase. Though far from affordable for everyone, it’s an important milestone for many. Whether a gift or the culmination of months of saving up, a luxury...