Aaliya Luthra

Aaliya Luthra, Art Director

Aaliya Luthra is a senior majoring in Media, Culture, and Communication and minoring in studio art and South Asian studies. As an artist, she enjoys creating illustrations and short animations for all the things she's passionate about. from music and pop culture to humanitarian crises. You can follow her art page @littleredbookillustrations to see more.

All content by Aaliya Luthra
An illustration of a map of Europe with the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy and Spain painted purple with white N.Y.U. emblems. Each country has one city labeled: London, Paris, Berlin, Prague, Florence and Madrid. Illustrations of N.Y.U. global sites’ buildings are included next to each country on the map.

Photo: 5 inevitable study abroad mistakes

April 2, 2024

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

Photo: Ranked: Students who study abroad

Josie Leach, Staff Writer May 4, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of Sahana Vij in an apron with a platter on a pedestal. On the pedestal is a menu which reads “BAKE AWAY” and “SAHANA VIJ” which is covered in imagery of silverware .

Photo: How an NYU student raised funds for 500,000 meals by publishing a cookbook

April 25, 2023

Sahana Vij has used her recipes and passion for cooking to help feed hundreds of thousands of people in need. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of composer Ryuichi Sakamoto against a black background. He has long, white hair and is wearing a black suit.

Photo: Remembering sonic pioneer, cinematic legend and outspoken activist Ryuichi Sakamoto

April 12, 2023

Remembering the legacy of Ryuichi Sakamoto. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An older woman sits next to a young boy on a bench and offers him food with her arm around his shoulder. A soccer ball rests beside them on the ground. The background is dark blue.

Photo: ‘Offside’ comic divulges a personal reflection on Qatar’s dangerous labor conditions

April 12, 2023

A closer look at “Offside,” the new comic published by Insider. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a man wearing heavy make-up and a black suit, holding both of his hands up. He is pictured inside a burgundy planetary illustration. Behind him is a purple expanse with white planets, stars and the text “Beyond N.Y.U.”

Photo: Beyond NYU: Concocting creativity with cabaret

April 8, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of five figures drawn with yellow as the fill color and realistic red lips.

Photo: A love letter to ‘New Girl’ as it departs from Netflix

April 5, 2023

After finding a home on Netflix after debuting on Fox in 2011, “New Girl” will be leaving the streaming service. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a computer on a bed covered with a blue blanket. The computer’s screen displays a pair of binoculars with text that reads “High and Low.”

Photo: Off the Radar: Searching ‘High and Low’ for common humanity

March 31, 2023

Akira Kurosawa’s “High and Low” (1963). (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of entangled black and white lines in a circular shape against a background of large blue dots.

Photo: STAT Madness 2024 begins, with 3 NYU studies competing

March 13, 2024

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of writer Annie Ernaux wearing a green shirt and holding her head with her left hand.

Photo: Review: Annie Ernaux’s ‘Happening’ illustrates the necessity of reproductive care

March 29, 2023

Annie Ernaux is the winner of the 2022 Nobel Prize in Literature. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

The World Baseball Classic logo, which is a white baseball with red seams surrounded by yellow, blue, green and red quarter circles.

Photo: Who NYU cheered for at the World Baseball Classic

March 24, 2023

The 2023 World Baseball Classic ran from March 7-21. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of several people wearing colorful dresses against a background with yellow, purple and blue patches. On the bottom right corner is a pink shoe with text “miu miu.”

Photo: Spring fashion forecast: Maximalism is here to stay

Olivia Condell, Contributing Writer March 23, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a woman wearing a black dress. Next to her is a musical keyboard. The illustration has a purple background with white planets, stars and the text “Beyond N.Y.U.’

Photo: Beyond NYU: Bopping to the beat of blockbuster scores

March 23, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a pavilion with a dome, covered in stained-glass-like art against the night sky with crescent moon and stars. Smaller domes lay behind the center one, which has a clear middle above an ornate bottom.

Photo: Celebrating Ramadan and the Muslim experience at NYU

March 22, 2023

(illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a laptop placed on a bed with blue sheets. The laptop displays two people wearing white T-shirts sitting together.

Photo: Off the Radar: Lessons on how to film ‘The Act of Killing’

March 10, 2023

Joshua Oppenheimer’s “The Act of Killing” is available on Kanopy and NYU Stream. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a woman wearing a yellow dress and a man wearing a black shirt and brown pants. They are dancing in front of a building with a red exterior.

Photo: The case against Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’

March 10, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a college dorm room with two beds and posters hanging on the wall. The bed on the left is purple and a girl wearing a purple tank top and blue pants sits on top. The bed on the right has light blue bedding and a girl wearing a blue long-sleeved jersey and gray pants sits on top. Both of the girls are crossing their arms while turning away from each other, facing opposite walls.

Photo: Off-Third: NYU says farewell to randomized roommates

March 3, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a soccer player wearing blue, kicking a soccer ball toward a net. A soccer player wearing an orange shirt and bright yellow gloves is guarding the net. In front of them is a man wearing a bright yellow shirt and black shorts, holding his hand to his mouth and, in his other outstretched arm, holding a document that reads “New Penalty Rules” with score charts on it.

Photo: First penalty kick wins soccer match, NYU prof finds

February 28, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of four faceless males sitting on a red sofa. A spiderweb crack runs through the image.

Photo: And then there was one: A look into Panic! At The Disco’s ‘breakup’

February 27, 2023

After 19 years, Panic! at the Disco is officially breaking up. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration with a dark gray background shows a couple drawn onto the pages of a book. They are back to back against different landscapes — a woman wearing a purple sweater and jeans is shown against a New York City landscape at night, and a man wearing an orange shirt and jeans with red shoes is shown against a college town. The book is torn down the middle.

Photo: Does Distance Make the Heart Grow Fonder?

February 26, 2023

Breakups may keep people apart, but love knows no bounds. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

A dark blue bedsheet with a laptop on it showing a man’s face hidden between leaves on the screen. A white teacup with blue details and a tea bag draped over its side sits in front of the computer.

Photo: Off the Radar: Jungles, love and phantoms in ‘Tropical Malady’

February 24, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a roll of paper, tied with a purple ribbon in front a black graduation cap. It is pictured sitting atop a stack of four books of different academic subjects against a purple background.

Photo: Opinion: CAS needs to offer more joint majors

February 23, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of the emblem of the Fulbright Program in blue, with the text “hashtag seven placement.” The emblem is placed against a purple background.

Photo: NYU ranks No. 7 in US for Fulbright scholars

February 23, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a girl wearing pink clothes with frilly sleeves. Her fingers touch one another inside of a planetary shape. Behind her is a purple expanse with white planets and stars.

Photo: Beyond NYU: Designing sustainable style

February 23, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a C.D. against a dark green background. On the C.D. is an illustration of three people whose faces are pressed against a window.

Photo: Review: With ‘This Is Why,’ Paramore continues to exceed expectations  

February 22, 2023

Paramore’s newest album features ten tracks including “Thick Skull” and “C’est Comme Ça”. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

A man with black hair winces in the dark.

Photo: The case against ‘Whiplash’

February 20, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a pink, circular planet with a pink gift box. There’s an image of a woman wearing a pink dress and handbag smiling on the box. The background is dark purple with white sketches of planets and stars.

Photo: Beyond NYU: Creating art post-NASA

February 16, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of four people against a pink background. Three people stand in a circle on the right while pointing and talking about the person walking past wearing a green coat and carrying a New Yorker magazine tote bag.

Photo: Off-Third: What to get your catcallers for Valentine’s Day

February 14, 2023

Listen up, ladies. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a woman reaching forward to tap a man on the shoulder. Both sit at a classroom desk. The man is wearing a striped gray shirt and the woman is wearing a pink sweater.

Photo: Opinion: You should make a move on your class crush

February 14, 2023

Shoot your shot. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of books, albums, and a single D.V.D. case, placed on an all-red backdrop with a pattern of small, white, hand-drawn hearts.

Photo: Staff Recs: Schmaltzy art that’s worth it

February 14, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a blue album cover on a blue background with the face of a woman on it. A yellow vinyl record emerges from the right side of the album cover.

Photo: Review: Samia confesses all in ‘Honey’

February 9, 2023

Singer-songwriter Samia’s sophomore album “Honey” is explicitly honest. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

A cup of coffee and a laptop screening a monochrome image of building compounds on fire in a desert on top of a gray blanket.

Photo: Off the Radar: ‘Lessons of Darkness’ in the chaos of the Gulf War

February 3, 2023

“Lesson of Darkness” by Werner Herzog is a visually striking documentary on the pillage of the Gulf War. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a vinyl record in front of a maroon background. The record features images of seven people, all smiling.

Photo: ‘Let’s Start Here’ is a reset for Lil Yachty’s sound

February 2, 2023

Lil Yachty’s newest psychedelic-rock album features 14 tracks including “the BLACK seminole.” and “The Alchemist.”(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of an orange circle with a woman’s face inside. Over the woman’s face, the words “bare feet” are written with a pair of orange footprints. The words “Beyond N.Y.U.” are written above the circle. The background is dark purple with white sketches of planets and stars.

Photo: Beyond NYU: Dancing around the world won her an Emmy

February 2, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a group of protesters holding signs in front of the Washington Square Arch. A rainbow reaches across the background. A purple sign in the middle reads “Black Trans Lives Matter.”

Photo: How NYU students can live up to the legacy of mutual aid in NYC

February 1, 2023

Washington Square Park has a rich history of hosting radical and inclusive mutual aid organizations. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An outline of the SoHo and NoHo neighborhoods drawn in light purple on top of a turquoise background, with various buildings outlined in black and some colored purple.

Photo: Village advocates side with city, challenge NYU rezoning lawsuit

January 27, 2023

A map illustration of the NoHo and SoHo neighborhoods in New York City. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of two sheets of exam paper stacked on top of each other against a blue background with text “final exam” written on it. There is a red circle with a diagonal line through it drawn on top of the two papers.

Photo: Opinion: Traditional final exams are impractical

December 7, 2022

Finals exams do not allow students to accurately demonstrate their knowledge from the semester. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of two people. On the left is a man wearing a dark suit looking to the left. On the right is a woman with dark hair facing sideways while looking to the front.

Photo: Review: ‘Closed Circuit’ fails to examine human condition through its provocative filmmaking

December 7, 2022

Tal Inbar’s “Closed Circuit” documents the 2016 Sarona Market shooting in Tel Aviv. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of an absentee ballot against a purple background. On the ballot it reads “OFFICIAL ABSENTEE BALLOT. BALLOT MUST BE ENCLOSED.”

Photo: Study away students frustrated with NYU Votes miscommunication

December 6, 2022

Eligible U.S. voters at NYU study away sites can vote through the absentee voting system. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of two books against a dark red background. On the left is a book with text “the Holiday” and a drawing of four people inside a gift box/ On the right is a book with text “It’s A Wonderful Life” and a drawing of a man holding a woman midair.

Photo: Staff Recs: Winter bliss, not blues

December 5, 2022

Here are some recommendations to listen to or watch this holiday season. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a group of white figures dancing on stage with red curtains against a black backdrop.

Photo: LA-based ‘Dances with Films’ festival hits the East Coast

December 5, 2022

The film festival “Dances with Films” was held in New York City for the first time on its 25th anniversary. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a silver laptop and a cup of tea placed on top of a dark blue cushion. The laptop is displaying two people walking alongside each other. On the left is a man wearing a blue shirt and pants while carrying fish nets. On the right is a woman wearing a green dress while carrying a basket.

Photo: Off the Radar: ‘Manila in the Claws of Light’ dissects a city under the pressure of tyranny

December 2, 2022

“Manila in the Claws of Light” is a classic in Filipino cinema. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of Washington Square Park with the Washington Square Arch in the background. Couples sit on the ground or on seats in the park. Above the Park is white text that reads “Sex on the Square.”

Photo: Sex on the Square: Negotiating non-monogamy

Shreya Tomar, Contributing Writer December 2, 2022

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a roasted turkey served on a lemon platter. It is covered in leafy greens and is in the foreground a red background.

Photo: Off-Third: What to do when you’re stuck in the US for Thanksgiving

November 23, 2022

What to do if you can’t go home for Thanksgiving. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a tweet from user @A1exandraCohen with text “if i EVER get Twitter blue, just know it’s a cry for help.” against a blue background. The tweet has two likes.

Photo: Opinion: Students can save Twitter

November 16, 2022

Twitter needs help from students to save the platform. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of two people’s silhouette talking in front of a blackboard with the text “COLLEGE OF blank line?” “C.A.S. vs C period A period S period,” and “SOLUTION two question marks” against a purple background.

Photo: Off-Third: CAS needs a name

November 16, 2022

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

A streetscape in Jamaica, Queens. Vendors selling fruits are in the foreground. To the left, a bus stop sign in front of a Bangladeshi flag and a subway entrance. To the right, a street sign indicating the intersection of 169th Street and Broadway.

Photo: A local’s recommendations for Queens Bengali staples

Pritheva Zakaria, Contributing Writer November 14, 2022

169th Street and below in Jamaica, Queens, is home to many Bengali stores. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of the album cover of “Her Loss”. The cover portrays a young Black woman with black curly hair and exaggerated eyelashes which are blue, orange and black. She wears an earring.

Photo: Review: Drake & 21 Savage's 'Her Loss' brings world-renowned rappers together

November 14, 2022

“Her Loss” is an album by Drake and 21 Savage, released on Nov. 4. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

Photo: Sex on the Square: Debunking myths about casual sex

March 10, 2023

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a cup of coffee in a white cup and white plate next to a gray laptop. On the screen of the laptop is an image of an elderly Black woman dressed in a light blue dress sitting on a chair on a sidewalk at night.

Photo: Off the Radar: ‘News from Home’ captures urban solitude and fleeting memories  

November 11, 2022

“News from Home,” a 1977 documentary by Chantal Akerman, explores her life in New York City. The film is available on Kanopy. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a woman with black hair wearing a green shirt with multiple arms holding a computer, a red analog clock, a green book and a beige paper that reads “to-do list.”

Photo: How I moved past my first-gen imposter syndrome

November 9, 2022

Perfectionism can be a harmful way to chase success. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of two figures displayed on a laptop placed on top of dark blue bedding with a cup of tea nearby. The first figure looks to be screaming, the other has a stern look.

Photo: Off the Radar: Black vampire myths and addiction in ‘Ganja & Hess'

November 4, 2022

“Ganja & Hess” is available to stream on Paramount+ and SHOWTIME.

An illustration of a female-presenting figure sits, with legs crossed, listening to music with black over-ear headphones. In the background, a urban landscape approximating Times Square in New York City. The signs in the background read “Cinema,” “Bank,” “Fitness Center,” “Tattoo,” “Art,” “Great Recipe,” “Green Tea,” “Restaurant,” “Jazz” and “Cupcake.”

Photo: How moving to New York helped me rethink my relationship with anxiety

October 28, 2022

Manhattan has eased my anxiety more than anything else. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a house with a gray exterior and blood soaking through its walls, displayed on a laptop.

Photo: Off the Radar: ‘The House That Jack Built’ attacks the cultural cult of the serial killer

October 28, 2022

“The House That Jack Built” is available to stream on Kanopy. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a woman wearing a red dress with five microphones pointing at her. Around the woman is a silhouette of a large planet and text “Beyond N.Y.U.” There are many smaller planets around the larger planet against a purple background.

Photo: Beyond NYU: Reporting the midterm elections for an ABC docuseries

October 21, 2022

Libby Cathey and her fellow reporters have been working on a documentary series months before the midterm elections. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of two hands holding phones using “Beatmatch,” a new dating app.

Photo: Beatmatch: The new dating app that will make your heart skip a beat

October 21, 2022

In a sea of meaningless scrolling and unsuccessful matchmaking, the new dating app “Beatmatch,” aims to connect people on a deeper level. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a cup of tea and a laptop on a bed in a dark bedroom with the film “Lucky Grandma” playing.

Photo: Off the Radar: ‘Lucky Grandma’ and the spirit of Chinatown

October 21, 2022

Why the film “Lucky Grandma” deserves more attention. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a map of the world with six purple N.Y.U. logo pins placed in each inhabited continent.

Photo: Staff Rants: Our time abroad

December 9, 2022

(Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of two pieces of paper stacked on top of each other against a purple background, and the top one reads “MIDTERM EXAM.”

Photo: Opinion: It’s time to embrace midterm exams

October 18, 2022

NYU’s dreaded midterm season actually provides many benefits to students. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

Two silhouettes of people in front of a green background are depicted, with speech bubbles directed toward them.

Photo: Opinion: Stop stopping people from trying hard to pronounce our names right.

October 15, 2022

Intimidation or fear should not stop you from trying to pronounce our names right. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

The text “My Skin of Color” is written in front of a woman holding her hand to her skin. The image is enclosed in a dark beige circle, and a depiction of space is in the background.

Photo: Beyond NYU: Addressing historical injustices in dermatology

October 14, 2022

Dermatology company My Skin of Color seeks to address historical inequalities in healthcare. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a spooky looking brown, two-story house at night during a lightning storm.

Photo: Review: ‘Barbarian’ is a gleeful homage to things that go bump in the night

October 14, 2022

“Barbarian” is a horror thriller that follows two strangers who booked the same Airbnb. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)

An illustration of a college dorm room with two beds and posters hanging on the wall. On the left side bed there are purple beddings and a girl wearing a purple tank top and blue pants. On the right side bed there are light blue beddings with a girl wearing a blue long-sleeve jersey and gray pants. Both of the girls are crossing their arms while turning away from each other facing the wall.

Photo: Off-Third: You should dorm with your best friend

October 13, 2022

Dorming with your best friend is 100% a financially and emotionally rewarding experience. (Illustration by Aaliya Luthra)