The exterior of the Morton Williams Supermarket, with a prominent red lettering that reads Morton Williams at the top of the building and the phrase The Fresh Marketplace beneath it.
How a supermarket became the center of NYU’s relationship with the Village
Carmo Moniz, Managing Editor • Jan 31, 2024

SPONSORED: Make your Super Bowl Sunday taco-tastic with Dos Toros Taqueria catering

If you’re looking for the perfect way to spice up your Super Bowl watch party, Dos Toros Taqueria has you covered with chips, dips and build-your-own tacos.

Whether you’re cheering for the San Francisco 49ers or screaming at the sight of Taylor Swift, there’s no better way to fuel your Super Bowl excitement than with some mouthwatering munchies. No matter how many roommates, suitemates or randoms from your residence hall gather around your TV this Super Bowl Sunday, you can make sure they’re well-fed with Dos Toros Taqueria catering.

With nearby locations on Carmine Street and Fourth Avenue, Dos Toros is a fast-casual Mexican chain that serves up tantalizing tortilla creations of fresh veggies, fluffy rice, tender meat, hearty beans and more. With Dos Toros’ brand-new catering menu, customers can order pickup or delivery of a build-your-own Taco or Bowl Bar, Chips & Dips and so much more.

As soon as I saw the size of the trays delivered to my dorm, I couldn’t help but think, “How are we going to eat it all?” Having generously filled each tray to the brim, Dos Toros catering portions are hard to beat. The packaging was also very convenient with napkins, cutlery and serving spoons on the side — and as lazy college students, this was greatly appreciated.

A plate filled with tortilla chips and four types of sauces at the middle is placed on a brightly lit blue table.Before pouncing on the taco bar, I opted for a lighter bite first. As a professional snacker, the Chips & Dips platter — which serves up to 20 people — easily became my favorite of all the catering items. I appreciated how the tortilla chips were freshly fried and evenly salted, which made them shine on their own, even without the dips.

However, by dipping into Dos Toros’ housemade guacamole and taqueria salsa, the chips were taken to a whole other level. Made with Hass avocados from California and Mexico, the guacamole had an exceptional blend of smooth and chunky while still allowing ingredients like cilantro and onion to enhance the taste. The taqueria salsa also had a beautiful consistency — I often find other salsas to be too watery, but this one perfectly coats every chip without fail. Better yet, mix the guacamole and taqueria salsa, and you get a symphony of slightly peppery and creamy flavors.

Next was the build-your-own Taco Bar, which came with pollo asado, a Mexican roast chicken recipe typically seasoned with achiote, citrus and smoky aromatics. I could tell that the pollo asado just came off the grill as marinade juices dripped down to the bottom of the tray, keeping the chicken pieces nicely tender and juicy. 

Two people, each holding a bowl and a spoon in their hands, take food from a table filled with sauces and food including corn, tomatos, guacomole, lettuce and cheese.The best way to tackle the Taco Bar is to get a bit of everything. Especially if you’re watching the Super Bowl for four hours — don’t fill up too quickly at kickoff so you can come back for seconds at halftime.

I scooped a little of every topping into my tacos: black beans, shredded romaine lettuce, peppers and onions, corn salsa, tomato salsa, shredded Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream. As a spice lover, I also doused my tacos with Dos Toros signature Smoky, Verde and Habanero hot sauces.

The experience was unlike any other taco-tasting I’ve ever had, and having full creative freedom over what I like in a taco was a game changer. From the crunch of corn salsa and lettuce, to the sweetness of the wonderfully caramelized peppers and onions and the spiciness from the holy trio of hot sauces, I had made my own textbook definition of tacos.

Currently, you can get 15% off of Dos Toros catering at catering.dostoros.com when you use the code NYU24 through May 31. Through Feb. 11, Dos Toros is running game day specials for their Chips & Dips platter, perfect for watch parties with your friends. With the discount, you won’t have to worry as much about keeping your friends’ bellies full on game day — especially if it’s with chips, dip and tacos galore.

This article is sponsored by Dos Toros Taqueria.

Andrea Lui, Dining Editor
Andrea Lui is a sophomore at Stern studying Business with concentrations in Finance and Computing & Data Science and a minor in Business of Entertainment, Media and Technology. She developed a profound love for writing while performing poetry, prose and dramatic monologues for over 10 years as a competitive public speaker. At NYU, she's also an Admissions Ambassador and serves as the External Relations Co-Director of the Board of Undergraduate Stern Women in Business. Andrea is on a mission to try every single restaurant in New York City … Check out @lui.andrea on Instagram to see if she succeeds.