Student Takes on Protein Shakes

NYU’s fitness buffs share their favorite protein shake recipes.
Protein shakes in a GNC store. (Staff photo by Jorene He)

At 404 Fitness, NYU’s gym junkies compete for free weights and squat racks, packing on the pounds to flaunt their recent protein shake gains. 

Stern junior Hector Grullon claims his training form is dependent upon the protein shake he consumes either pre- or post-workout. 

“As a student, it’s hard to eat a lot of food — especially protein — to maintain or gain muscle,” Grullon said.

His ideal shake includes two scoops of whey protein powder, one tablespoon of peanut butter, a handful of frozen strawberries and blueberries and half a cup of almond milk. 

Increased protein intake is essential to strength training, as it optimizes the body’s ability to store energy, supporting muscle growth and recovery. During exercise, your muscle fibers are broken down and damaged. To repair and rebuild, they undergo muscle protein synthesis, a process that utilizes proteins made up of amino acids. 

“If I’m lifting three times a week and not supplementing with protein, my strength gains aren’t as drastic,” said CAS junior John Arege, who drinks protein shakes as meal replacements or post-workout snacks. 

He opts for Garden of Life’s vegan Raw Organic Chocolate Cacao Protein Powder because he is lactose intolerant. His go-to shake consists of one scoop of protein, one banana, one tablespoon of creatine, PB2 peanut butter powder, a handful of spinach, some frozen fruit and a mixture of water and plant-based milk to combine the ingredients. 

Different types of protein powders — high in nutritional value and low in calories — are great sources of protein that easily combine with other foods in shakes that can be consumed at any time of day. Available in various forms, such as whey, casein, egg, soy, brown rice, hemp, pea and mixed plant protein, there really is one for each diet. 

CAS junior Rebecca Wanderman uses the extra protein to help build lean muscle. Wanderman claims she drinks protein shakes around four to five times a week to fit her demanding workout schedule.  

“It’s time-convenient and an easy way to get in protein,” Wanderman said. “I’ll definitely drink a quick shake if I feel like I’m not having enough.”

Her favorite recipe includes one scoop of Women’s Best plant-based protein powder, one frozen banana, two tablespoons of peanut butter and enough almond milk to give a liquid consistency. 

Others prefer it simpler. Stern first-year Nickolaus Stringfellow mixes one scoop of protein powder with either ice or cold water. 

“If I do heavy lifting, I’ll have a quick shake,” Stringfellow said. “I struggle gaining weight, so I need the extra protein.”

If you’re planning to step up your gym game, take the advice of these NYU students and upgrade your routine with some protein. 

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Mar. 4, 2019 print edition.

Email Amina Frassl at [email protected].