Culture Desk Faves: Chapstick Edition

We’ve got a lot to say about Chapstick.
Chapstick comes in all shapes and sizes – here are some of the culture desk’s favorites. (Staff Photo by Chelsea Li)

If you walked up to anyone on the street (though I’m not sure you should), and asked them if they had some chapstick, chances are they probably do. Believe it or not, one’s chapstick preference says a lot about them. Do you like fruit flavors? No flavor? A waxy or a glossy finish? Do you carry a tub of Vaseline around and call it a day? In this Culture Desk Faves edition read us dish on our favorite chapsticks:

Anything Mint 

Bella Gil, Culture Editor

I think I am what people call a “chapstick girl.” I have one in every pouch I own, purse, backpack and anything else that can remotely hold a small cylindrical tube. They’re all mostly different brands, but they’re all the same flavor (scent?): mint. I strongly believe that mint chapstick is the only exceptional flavor of chapstick out there. Why would I want to be walking around with the taste of fruit or cocoa on my lips? If it doesn’t make my lips tingle, I don’t want it. I’m not crazy about Glossier’s Balm Dotcom in Mint, but I do appreciate a classic tube of Burt’s Bees or ChapStick Brand (Spearmint over Peppermint). Right now, my favorite is Little Moon Essentials Lip Balm in Peppermint Shtick that I received as a sample. If you have a favorite mint chapstick, please send it my way. 

Aquaphor 

Divya Nelakonda, Beauty & Style Editor

I remember all too well the ridiculous chapstick phase I went through around middle school. It began with eos, that perfect egg-shaped dome that was so smooth I was almost afraid to use it. I collected the limited-edition flavors and kept one handy at all times, so I could whip out the newest one in the middle of biology and make everyone, especially Jill (you know who you are), stir with envy. All the while, I knew in the back of my mind that eos’s formula, if anything, made my lips more chapped. Since then, I’ve gone through tubes of Carmex, pots of Nivea Lip Butters and a couple of the infamous Maybelline Baby Lips tinted lip balms that made my eleven year old self feel scandalous and mature. More recently, I’ve really liked the Glossier Balm Dotcom in Cherry, but nothing quite compares to a generous swab of Aquaphor before bed. Just one application of Aquaphor leaves me with lips so smooth and so plump, they’re just a few degrees of separation from Angelina Jolie. 

Aquaphor Lip Protectant + Sunscreen

Tatiana Velasco, Deputy Culture Editor

I cannot go anywhere without my Aquaphor Lip Protectant + Sunscreen. I literally carry it around with me like I do with my phone. It’s extremely moisturizing, and my lips instantly feel softer after every application. This product is also paraben and fragrance-free, so it is friendly to sensitive skin. Most importantly, it has sunscreen with SPF 30, which protects your lips from harmful UV rays that cause premature aging and dangerous skin conditions. It comes in a small pocket-size squeeze bottle, but it will last you weeks. You can find it at any drugstore, but I like to order it on Amazon — it’s always cheaper.

Nivea 

Lauren Gruber, Dining Editor

In a world full of Glossier and Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment, my favorite chapstick is the humble Nivea, specifically the light blue one with SPF. It has a lovely subtle herbal smell that I can’t quite place, and the petite, rounded tube fits perfectly in my tiny women’s jeans pockets. The best thing by far about this chapstick is the texture. Instead of making my lips waxy (I’m looking at you, Burt’s Bees), this chapstick almost has a gloss-like finish, leaving my lips silky, shiny without being goopy and, dare I say, kissable. 

Email the culture desk at [email protected]