Bruno Major Charms in New York City

After less than a year, Bruno Major returned to the United States last week.
Artist Bruno Major performing in a concert. (via Judy Zhang)

Bruno Major gained initial fame through the release of his album “A Song For Every Moon,” for which, as the title suggests, he wrote and released one song every month in 2016. Since then, he has gained over 2 million monthly listeners on Spotify, went on an arena tour with Sam Smith and performed on “The Late Late Show with James Corden.”

Major’s fanbase has also grown significantly in the past three years. The 2019 Spring Tour has sold out 12 shows in advance, twice as many as the 2018 Summer Tour, including two shows in New York City alone.

Although viewed by many as a singer-songwriter with Sheeran-like melodies, Major is also deeply interested in electronic music. Rhythm-and-blues sounds dominate his recorded music but during live performances, he lets his guitar skills shine through.

Major set the atmosphere at (Le) Poisson Rouge this past Monday by performing the first song from his album, “Wouldn’t Mean a Thing.” The echoed vocals of the intro and the rounded stage created an intimacy between him and his band, as well as the audience. Mere seconds after he started singing, people were slowly rocking along, couples holding each other, careless smiles spreading through the crowd.

While songs like “Easily” and “Second Time,” joined by his talented pianist Eloise Alexandra, were performed in a manner true to the originals in tone, Major decided to spice up some other melodies from his album. Favoring energetic guitar riffs and elaborate drum solos that are a stark contrast to his mellow recorded music, the audience learnt that Major was enjoying the performance just as much as they were.

During his performance, Major connected with his fans by revealing the entertaining anecdotes behind his heartwarming lyrics. His wit shone through when he told the fans standing behind him that “unfortunately, you’ll have to stare at my butt the entire time.”

After the performance, the fans gathered around the merchandise table, eager to buy shirts adorned with his iconic moon design. On the way out, everyone peeked at the open booklet next to the shirts on display: “Write a letter to Bruno. He reads all of them!” said the vendor, while he was finishing up the finances of the night.

Email Judy Zhang at [email protected].