An Insight into the Top Mistakes that Tradespeople Make

Sponsored by Ocere

It doesn’t matter whether you are an electrician, landscaper, plumber or even a builder because there isn’t a single trade out there that is completely immune from job blunders. If you are new to the tradesman industry, then you need to make sure that you do everything you can to avoid making these top mistakes.

Electrical Settings

One of the main mistakes that people make is using a digital meter but on the wrong setting. You need to make sure that you are using it on AC or DC where required, and that you also use the right voltmeter as well. If you don’t then you may end up causing yourself a very painful accident when in reality, all of this could have easily been avoided.

Not Having Insurance

If you don’t have insurance, then this could impact you. Sure, you might be able to save money by not having it but at the end of the day, you might be costing yourself way more in the future. Luckily, tradesman insurance is very easy to come by and if you invest in it early-on then there is absolutely no reason why you can’t get the cover you need. Hiscox have some great policies available if you’ve never taken one out before. 

Improper Drain Slopes

Drains have to slope downhill. If you put a pipe in the wrong direction, even if it’s just a little bit then you may find that you end up backing up the pipe and that the whole system is off. This is the last thing that you need, so always measure twice and that you take the time to make sure that you are completely happy with your calculations.

Safety

A lot of electricians will tell you that one of their biggest fears is working with a live current by accident. If you want to protect yourself here, then you need to presume the current that you are working with is always live and that you take the time to double-check everything before you even start the job. Trusting the label is not a good idea as there could have been changes to the voltage that might not have been noted.

Changes at the Last Minute

It doesn’t matter whether you are an architect, builder or even a contractor because if you change plans after everything has been finalised, whether it’s moving a door or even a window then this can bring about a whole new set of problems.

Cutting Corners

Another mistake that people make is cutting corners. You may find that you have an even bigger job on your hands by simply trying to shave 10 or 20 minutes off your time and this is the last thing that you need. If you want to get around this then it would be helpful for you to stick to the way things should be done and for you to try and not find a faster or easier way of doing something, unless it is a regulated and approved method within the industry.