A Spicy History of Chili

via instagram.com

A bowl of lentil chili topped with diced avocado.

Sherry Yan, Contributing Writer

Each year Americans pull out their crockpots on the fourth Thursday of February to celebrate National Chili Day. Chili mainly consists of chili peppers, beans, tomatoes and meat and has a long history being the star of the dining table. However, the debate about the authentic ingredients of chili has never stopped.

Though in the United States many restaurants market chili as Mexican food, chili, in fact, did not originate in Mexico. Even the National Chili Day website acknowledges how many food historians agree that “chile con carne is an American dish with Mexican roots,” but many Mexicans deny association with the dish.

Food studies experts have different opinions about the origin of chili. Some said that the history of this legendary spicy stew can trace to 17th century in the Southwestern United States. Spanish nun, Sister Mary of Agreda, wrote down the first recipe of chili which included venison, onions, tomatoes and chili peppers. But, there’s no evidence to support the Sister’s chili concoction. Others said that J. C. Clopper, a resident near Houston, documented the first written recipe of chili when he observed the poor eating this dish in San Antonio.

Dave DeWitt, an associate professor in Consumer and Environmental Sciences at New Mexico State University considers lower income San Antonio families as having an integral part in the development of chili. In his book “Southwest Table: Traditional Cuisine From Texas, New Mexico, And Arizona,” DeWitt delves into their influence.

“When they [the poor families of San Antonio] have to pay for their meat in the market,” DeWitt wrote. “A very little is made to suffice for the family; it is generally cut into a kind of hash with nearly as many peppers as there are pieces of meat this is all stewed together.”

The ways to celebrate National Chili Day are endless. Enthusiastic chili-lovers hold cook-offs each year, competing with thousands of participants to find out the most acclaimed chili. The International Chili Society, has been holding chili competitions since 1967 years, with hundreds of events worldwide.

According to National Today, only five percent of Americans turn their noses up to chili. But for the 95 percent majority, 8 million of us have been flocking to Google for the best chili recipe. Many chilis are native to cities around the U.S., such as Cincinnati chili which has a holiday aroma with its ingredients of cinnamon and nutmeg. Chili doesn’t have to just be for the meat lovers out there. Many plant-based chili recipes are out there, substituting meat with heart vegetables such as yellow squash and zucchini. This slow cooker seven veggie chili may delight your taste buds while promoting health at the same time.

For those of you wanting to stick to the classic recipe, the wide variety of toppings can spice things up.Everyone is welcome to DIY his or her own way to enjoy this classic, hearty dish.

Email Sherry Yan at [email protected].