Before You Adopt a Dog, Check Out the Start-Up Costs

Do you have a yearning for a four-legged friend? The cost of owning a dog is more than just cans of puppy chow and a few squeaky toys.

Here are a few things to think about when it comes to budgeting for your new best friend:

Things will get destroyed

Despite your dog’s cherubic face, chances are, you’ll need to replace an item (or two) around the house soon after bringing home a new dog. Stick with durable, chew-friendly toys that come with quality guarantees.

The higher-end toys aren’t as cheap as the cute raccoons and seasonal stuffed animals—virtually indestructible toys and toys with a quality guarantee like the Goughnut start at around $20 on the low end and $40 or more on the high end—but it’s a small price to pay compared to constantly replacing plush toys or visiting the vet because of ingested stuffing.

Licenses and registration, please

In a lot of cities and counties pet owners need to obtain a license for their animals. These can come with yearly fees. If you choose to forego the license, you could face a penalty that will end up costing more than the license itself.

Keep your dog above the law. Allowing your dog to run off his leash, can also lead to a pricy citation, depending on your city’s laws. Ditto for letting a dog off leash.

Fees on fees

Lost your dog? When you can’t find Fido, microchipping can be a godsend. If your adopted pet doesn’t already have a microchip, you can have one inserted by a vet for around $50, according to WebMD.

Many microchips require annual registration fees, which vary depending on the company.

Sit, stay!

A six-to eight-week group training session ranges from around $40 to $160 according to estimates from Thumbtack and CostHelper.com, but group training isn’t the right environment for every dog. Shy or aggressive dogs are better served with private training, which can cost anywhere from $30 to $100 an hour.

Got lots of patience? You can forego training classes and try and train with the help of experts via YouTube, online articles and library books.

Get to the vet

Adopting a pup with a mostly unknown health background? You may be starting entirely from scratch when it comes to vaccines. All of these (plus check-ups) can quickly add up.

Puppies generally require more vaccines than older dogs to protect them as they age, according to the American Kennel Club, and many of the vaccines for young dogs require follow-up appointments and booster shots. If you’ve adopted a puppy, these costs may level out as dogs reach adulthood.

Something nice: Adopting a dog from shelters with connections to animal hospitals may offer discounted veterinary care. So you don’t pay to pay a lot to care a lot.

Get Stash

Wondering how to save extra money? Stash can help you start saving and investing with as little as $5. The app is free to download for iOS and Android.

Washington Square News scored you a special $5 sign-up bonus to get started when you sign up here.

** Stash is an affiliate partner with Washington Square News

Disclaimers:

This material has been distributed for informational and educational purposes only, represents an assessment of the market environment as of the date of publication, is subject to change without notice, and is not intended as investment, legal, accounting, or tax advice or opinion. Stash assumes no obligation to provide notifications of changes in any factors that could affect the information provided. This information should not be relied upon by the reader as research or investment advice regarding any issuer or security in particular. The strategies discussed are strictly for illustrative and educational purposes and should not be construed as a recommendation to purchase or sell, or an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. There is no guarantee that any strategies discussed will be effective.

Furthermore, the information presented does not take into consideration commissions, tax implications, or other transactional costs, which may significantly affect the economic consequences of a given strategy or investment decision. This information is not intended as a recommendation to invest in any particular asset class or strategy or as a promise of future performance. There is no guarantee that any investment strategy will work under all market conditions or is suitable for all investors. Each investor should evaluate their ability to invest long term, especially during periods of downturn in the market. Investors should not substitute these materials for professional services, and should seek advice from an independent advisor before acting on any information presented.Past performance does not guarantee future results. There is a potential for loss as well as gain in investing. Stash does not represent in any manner that the circumstances described herein will result in any particular outcome.