Don’t Have Time to Blow Dry Your Hair? Have Someone Else Do It For You

If you are in need of some hair treatment, head over to a blow-dry bar to get fixed up!

Sophie Fay Shaw, Staff Writer

08Sometimes pampering yourself is totally necessary. When you’re running between class, work, a study group and the other 10 things on your to-do list, it’s hard to muster up enough energy to do anything with your hair other than throwing it into a ponytail. But after a while your hair loses its shine and the bend left behind from the hair band seems to be permanent. If your hair reaches this lackluster state or if you just want to treat yourself, consider taking a trip to a blow-dry bar to refresh your locks.

The stylists at blow-dry bars know how to massage, shampoo, condition and, most importantly, execute a blowout with efficiency and finesse. A blowout done professionally generally lasts longer than one done at home, which validates the high pricetag a bit more. At hair salons, blowouts can cost upwards of $75, so blow-dry bars have honed in on a specific service to provide at a more affordable cost. Plus, simple heat styling is often included in the price of a blowout and sometimes even buns and braids. Many blow-dry bars also have styling services a la carte (without the wash and blow-dry) available, too.

Here’s a roundup of the five best places to get a blowout near campus:

Drybar – $45

60 E. 10th St.

New York, NY 10003

This blow-dry bar chain is the largest in the country and offers a range of styles with fun titles like The Cosmo (bouncy curls), Southern Comfort (lots of teased volume) and The Manhattan (sleek and straight).

DreamDry – $45

35 W. 21st St.

New York, NY 10010

Founded by celebrity stylists Rachel Zoe and Robin Moraetes, this blow-dry bar prides itself on treating customers to a glamorous experience. Complimentary Wi-Fi and beverages are provided at the salon, which makes the trip to the Flatiron location worth it. For blowouts, there are more than ten styles to choose from.

Haute Air – $45

20 Thompson St.

New York, NY 10013

Although this salon calls itself a boutique blow-dry bar, it doesn’t stop with blowouts and styling. It also provides haircuts, hair coloring, and makeup services. Plus, it comes with a fun fact: Haute Air had a cameo on “Broad City” season three, episode five.

WS Hairstyling – $30

552 Laguardia Pl.

New York, NY 10012

This traditional hair salon close to campus understands the college student’s budget. Many of the hair services are available at a student discount. Their blowout is usually $30 for short hair and $40-$50 for long hair, but for NYU students it’s $30 for any length of hair.

Salon G – $20, cash only

229 Sullivan St.

New York, NY 10012

This barber shop/hair salon is definitely not the place you want to go to receive spa treatment, but many of the hair stylists have over twenty years of experience and loyal clientele. A $20 blowout blocks away from campus is definitely a bargain if you’re willing to overlook the lack of luxury facilities.

Email Sophie Fay Shaw at [email protected].