LS Forum Discusses Diversity Beyond Race

NYU Liberal Studies continues their Conversation for Change events by hosting what should be the first of many diversity roundtables.

Jesús Kumamoto

Maria Torres, Contributing Writer

On the heels of one of the most emblazoned semesters for diversity conversation, the Liberal Studies school held Conversation for Change on Thursday, the first of three diversity forums within the college. They’re adopting the university’s — and its new president’s — stand that diversity needs to be at the forefront of conversation order to promote a welcoming environment for all students within the department.

The event featured a series of roundtable discussions each led by a conductor who would take in the main points of what was discussed. Among the participants were students, staff and faculty, all gathered to tackle the important question of how to ensure that LS classrooms take full advantage of diversity represented in the student body.  

Participants of the roundtables used the event to define what is meant by diversity, and what the true implications of the term are.

Global Academic Advisor Sentienla Toy raised some particular points about the concept of diversity itself.

“There’s so many kinds of diversities, it’s not just race,” Toy said.   

Toy’s issues with the lack of diversity in NYU events were a big part of were a big part of what she felt needs to change in the future.

“There is not enough diversity in these diversity events,” Toy said. “The word diversity puts away people, and people don’t even connect to that unless they are a part of the underrepresented. I hope that there will be more students, more professors. There’s a lot more to be done.”

Another concern addressed during the event was the issue of getting faculty to encourage students to share their experiences without singling a student out or forcing them to speak without consent.

Though Liberal Studies is the first to attempt an event on diversity, other schools throughout NYU have already been addressing this issue. According to Jonathon White, the Associate Dean of Students in LS, the College of Arts and Science has hosted conversations through the Academic Achievement program, and the Gallatin School of Individualized Study has participated in lectures and discussions on the topic of diversity.

“I think that there has been a larger energy around NYU about this topic in particular, thinking about ‘How do we become the most inclusive environment that we can,’” White said.

What prompted the department to host this event was the variety of suggestions that it was receiving from the student advisory group. White explained what Liberal Studies intends to do with these suggestions.

LS Professor Danis Banks expressed how the department is, while not yet at the finish line, on the right track.

“LS is taking the right measures, it seems, by having not only one but three of these diversity meetings this semester,” Banks said. “It would be better, I think, to encourage more students to come to the meetings, to ask their opinions on how LS can be more inclusive.’”

Email Maria Torres at [email protected].