The Weekend: October 23-25

Tiffany Chen

Every Saturday, the merchants at the Union Square Greenmarket sell a variety of apples and fresh produce. On October 24, the citywide Big Apple Crunch will take place here starting at 12 pm.

Kaitlyn Coleman, Contributing Writer

With Halloween less than two weeks away, festivities are in full swing. Don’t waste away the fall season in your dorm room. Get out and experience the spooky and fun events the city has to offer.

Gravesend Inn Haunted Hotel

Already addicted to this season of “American Horror Story?” Experience a real life haunted hotel at the Gravesend Inn. Join Theatreworks, City Tech’s resident theatrical troupe, for a night of terror and fun, filled with crafty design and construction. It’s sure to leave you spooked.

Location: Voorhees Theatre, 186 Jay Street (north of Tillary), Brooklyn, NY

Travel time: 20 minute subway ride from Union Square

Hours: Friday, Oct. 23: 10 a.m.- 3 p.m., 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 24: 1 – 5 p.m., 6 – 9 p.m.

Costs: $5 with student ID

Brooklyn Bridge Harvest Festival

Grab a couple friends and head out to Brooklyn for a free day of fun and Halloween spirit. The festival includes food and musical performances, along with a pumpkin patch and a Halloween parade. Indulge in fall festivities and Halloween excitement while escaping the city for a fun-filled afternoon.  

Location: Pier 6 at Brooklyn Bridge Park

Travel time: 30-minute subway from Union Square

Hours: Saturday, Oct. 24

10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Costs: Free

Big Apple Crunch

Join the citywide celebration of Food Day and participate in what their website calls “crunch heard around the world” as millions simultaneously take a bite of a juicy apple. Nothing like refreshing fruit to gather people together. Held in the Union Square Greenmarket, a mere couple blocks from campus, the crunch is sure to be heard all through the square.

Location: Union Square Greenmarket

Travel time: located in Union Square

Hours: Saturday, Oct. 24

12 p.m.

Costs: Free

Tompkins Square Park Halloween Dog Parade

Missing your dog back home? Attend the Tompkins Square Park Halloween Dog Parade and get your fill of puppies and the Halloween spirit. What’s better than a cute dog in an even cuter costume?

Location: Tompkins Square Park

Travel time: 10-12 minute walk from Union Square

Hours: Saturday, Oct. 24

12 p.m.

Costs: Suggested $5 raffle ticket

Email Kaitlyn Coleman at [email protected]