‘Arrow’ zings back with impressive storyline

Oliver Queen, a billionaire playboy returns a changed man after five years lost at sea.

Cece Charendoff, Contributing Writer

The season premiere of “Arrow”  lived up to expectations as a solid episode that had the tough job of bridging the gap between between what the show wants to be Oliver Queen’s origin story and the fully realized plotline of the Green Arrow. The CW’s “Arrow” had its fourth season premiere on Oct. 7 with more superheroes, villains and plot twists for the upcoming season.

After giving up his role as the Arrow at the end of last season, Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) is living in domestic bliss with Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards). There’s talk of farmers markets, crock pots, brunch and even an engagement ring. However, before Oliver can fully separate from his Arrow persona, his sister Thea (Willa Holland) and Laurel (Katie Cassidy) drop by for an intervention and a crisis — the city is being targeted by a vicious antagonist and they need help.

The villain for the season revealed himself to be Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough), a man with the ability to manipulate energy and objects for one goal: to destroy Star City. By the end of the episode, Oliver is back in the field as the new Green Arrow, cementing the launch of the mysterious origin story which the show has been building.

It’s ironic that “Arrow,” which is based off the popular DC comic of the same name, the two most compelling characters are ones who are new to the canon, created within the TV show. John Diggle and Felicity Smoak never stop being the heart of the show. These two characters have feelings complicated by their love for Oliver, which deepened the emotional impact of a show that could’ve very easily veer into forced sentiment.

Once the creators allowed the show to explore Oliver’s relationships — both romantic and platonic — the story benefitted immensely. Felicity and Oliver still have issues to work out and Diggle struggles with reconciling Oliver’s actions last season with the trust they used to share. The promise of the evolution of these storylines makes a compelling case for the rest of the season. If these scenes don’t capture the audience’s attention, the parting shot of Oliver crouching near a fresh grave will.

With a new villain, a new suit and a new tone, this season of “Arrow” will certainly deliver what it has in the past: dependable superhero television enhanced by its characters and performances.

“The Arrow” airs on Wednesdays 8/7c on CW.

Email Cece Charendoff at [email protected].