Volleyball strong with 10-man team

via gonyuathletics.com

LaPorte led #9 NYU with a season-best 16 kills.

Bobby Wagner, Sports Editor

The NYU volleyball team is defying conventions as their season wears on. Most volleyball teams run with six strong, subbing a middle hitter for a libero when they are on defense. But this year, in the wake of some disappointing matches at the beginning of the year, the Violets are rolling with 10 strong in some matches.

Their 10-man platoon system garnered them another victory on Tuesday, as they dispatched Ramapo College 3-2, taking the fifth set by a comfortable 15-9 margin. Junior opposite Colin LaPorte, who’s been having a stellar season, led the team with 16 kills.

“Volleyball is a core game and when a group of six on the court is comfortable with each other on the court you usually stick with it,” LaPorte said. “But a theme we have had this season is that if one of our core guys is struggling, that we have a deep bench that can come in and play well and bring energy.”

One of those players from the bench that has stepped up in recent games is freshman outside hitter Andrew Zhu. Zhu, who did not play in the Violets’ last game against Stevens Institute of Technology, capitalized on his opportunity with 10 kills on Tuesday night. That matches his season high, which he set just two games earlier against New Jersey City College.

“As a freshman, any opportunity to see the court and get any kind of experience is always great to have,” Zhu said. “It’s been a long season so it’s always nice to have opportunities to rest guys who have been playing hard all year.”

Zhu credited his teammatesfor why he has been able to fit in so easily.

“The support from my teammates has definitely been huge in giving me confidence to play aggressively,” Zhu said. “They’re always super encouraging and they push me to play as hard as I can.”

The Violets are looking to keep their season on track as it rounds out. With just one game left before the UVC championships, and four games left before a potential NCAA tournament berth, they will have to be at their best if they want to make the most of their season.

“I think we are all optimistic, especially because we are returning so many key players,” LaPorte said. “We are all a little disappointed in our season as of now but we are going into the game Thursday and the UVC tournament this weekend with confidence hoping to win it and go to NCAAs.”

NYU will finish their regular season on Thursday at home when they take on Springfield College. They will need another strong performance from the entire squad if they want to get enough momentum to make some noise in the UVC tournament.

“We just have to play as well as we know we can play,” Zhu said.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, April 7 print edition. Email Bobby Wagner at [email protected].