Angel Sanchez Fall/Winter 2015

Amanda Morris, Staff Writer

In his collection titled “Woman with Velvet Shoes,” Angel Sanchez experimented heavily with textiles and the result was slightly confusing. The looks, featured heavy yet sheer textile fabrics and were predominantly black. However white and gold colored looks also made an appearance, but not all of them were stunning.

Of the 40 looks, roughly half were dazzling, and the other half of the collection seemed to be trying too hard to combine an array of ideas into one outfit. Though all of the outfits reflected Sanchez’s careful attention to a woman’s form, some lacked the easy simplicity that Sanchez usually conveys.

In particular when Sanchez combined a silver sweater and a chocolate perforated leather panel skirt, the skirt looked like cheap window blinds swinging around the model’s legs. Another disconcerting look was a multi-colored lame jacquard top and skirt with a merlot turtle neck sweater underneath. The jacquard top and skirt looked like a shiny child’s mosaic and was disarming enough on it’s own, but when combined with a red turtleneck, one found themselves asking, “Who would wear that?”

Lastly, the models were styled in a way that made them frightening. The sleek flat ponytails were chic, as well as the thick chunky gold and velvet heels, but the eyeliner made models look chilling. The eyeliner was heavily applied to the lower lash, reminding viewers of having dark bags under your eyes from lack of sleep.

To be fair, the collection was not all bad. Some inspiring things to take away from the show were Sanchez’s interesting use of slits, cuts and framings of women’s proportions. The slits were wonderfully intriguing because Sanchez made them small enough that they didn’t seem trashy, yet placed them in unusual positions. For example, cuts were placed vertically from a model’s hip on her zig zag printed long sleeve chiffon gown. Sanchez referred to these as “illusion inserts,” and they certainly captivated the eye.

Miss USA, Nia Sanchez and Miss Universe, Paulina Vega, both attended the show. Nia Sanchez said, “I just absolutely loved his designs and want to wear them on every red carpet. It was amazing.”

Overall, the Angel Sanchez Fall/Winter 2015 collection bordered between impracticality and uniquity. While some looks could definitely be worn on the red carpet, others would never been seen on the city streets.