Exhibit shows beauty of imperfections

Talia Milavetz, Contributing Writer

Tucked away in the middle of Chinatown, the group exhibition “Fetching Blemish” boasts a variety of art that expose the  traits that make people most insecure.

The portraits use mixed media. Some are painted over cardboard, some beautifully watercolor and some are even made of low fire clay. Each piece highlights a different area of insecurity. Rebecca Morgan’s “Self-portrait at thirty living in my hometown, post Big Mac Meal,” shows every detail of eyebrows that have yet to be plucked. Others, like Dan McCarthy’s “Space Ghost,” show a face with poorly defined features. Some show an intricately detailed figure smeared over with strokes of paint, making most facial features unidentifiable. “Fetching Blemish” uses every medium to highlight the insecurities that make us feel like outsiders.

While people are told what makes us different makes us special, differences can make people feel marginalized. People are constantly shown images of beauty and perfect rather than reality. “Fetching Blemish” responds to these conflicting ideas by emphasizing our “ugliness” and the things that make us feel insecure. It does not necessarily say these things make us beautiful, and it doesn’t say that they make us inferior. Rather, “Fetching Blemish” aims to explore the insecurities that shape our identities. “Fetching Blemish” is a fascinating gallery whose artists and artwork lead a progressive discussion on beauty, ugliness and what it means to be human.

“Fetching Blemish” is on display on 89 Elridge St. and closes on Feb. 14. 

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 11 print edition. Email Talia Milavetz at [email protected]