Men’s hockey trounces weekend competition

Shawn Paik

The NYU Hockey team will play its final home game against the University of New Hampshire this Friday, Feb. 13.

Bobby Wagner, Sports Editor

The NYU hockey team pushed their win streak to four over the weekend in games against Keene State College and Marist College, winning by final tallies of 4-2 and 10-2 respectively. Since winter break, the Violets are 4-1-1.

Without their star goaltender Sam Daley in net, the Violets have leaned on strong performances from freshman Jack Nebe and senior Alex Pepper. Nebe recorded 25 saves in the win against Keene on Friday night, continuing his strong play in the third game of their five-game homestand. NYU got goals from four different players in the win, including a power play goal netted by sophomore defender Evan Ripley. Head Coach Chris Cosentino spoke highly of the Violets’ resilience on the ice.

“Keene always plays us tough and, as expected, it was a physical game,” Cosentino said. “It wasn’t our best game, but we found a way to get the win.”

Nebe shared the same sentiment as his coach.

“Playing against Keene is always a battle for us,” Nebe said. “They play a hard-hitting, chippy style of hockey and they don’t shy away from a fight. We didn’t help ourselves by getting off to a slow start but managed to dig deep and get the win.”

That has become an unofficial mantra of NYU’s season — finding a way to get the win no matter what comes their way. They have proven their resilience time and time again since learning of the brain tumor that put Daley’s season on halt. The case was no different on Saturday against Marist, where they unleashed an offensive onslaught not seen thus far in the season. The Violets set a new season record with 10 goals in the win, including a hat trick from senior forward Dakota Richardson and two goals apiece from senior forward Mike Cambria and freshman forward Michael Conslato. Richardson also added two assists on the night to cap a five-point night.

“In the Marist game, when you can get scoring from all four lines it is a good night,” Cosentino said. “I thought we were really clicking on Saturday and I was happy with the effort. Marist is a solid team that beat us earlier in the year so it was great to see our response.”

In accord with how the entire month has gone, the night did not end without some sentimentality.

“Prior to the game, each team’s captain exchanged team signed jerseys and posed for a photograph with Sam Daley,” Cosentino said. “One was a signed Marist jersey for Sam Daley, and the NYU team-signed jersey was for Marist player Austin King who was recently diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease.”

What has been an emotional regular season is now coming to a close, as the Violets prepare for their final home game this Friday at 8:30 p.m at the Sky Rink in Chelsea Piers. The game will be senior night, and is a rematch against the University of New Hampshire after an earlier closely contested match in which the Violets won 6-5.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 10 print edition. Email Bobby Wagner at [email protected].