Yuna Yang Fall/Winter 2014

Click on image for more looks from Yuna Yang F/W 2014

Yuna Yang’s Fall/Winter 2014 collection was anything but cold and wintry. The pieces are a surefire way to warm up the scene of dark clothing that is traditional for the season. The collection, dubbed “The Butterfly Mother,” was a surge of bright colors and hints of flora, with nature undeniably playing muse. The collection is specifically inspired by the “Miao Culture,” which derives from southwest China. The “embroidering, weaving, paper cutting, batik, and jewelry casting,” as described in the designer’s inspiration, is seen throughout the entire show and is a tribute to the “Miao Spirit” that is transformed from traditional to a modern interpretation.

The show took place in an almost ethereal setting: the fifth story of a spacious dance academy was turned into a simple and elegant display. What really made the runway dreamlike were the floor-to-ceiling windows and light curtains that covered the cityscape, but just enough to let the city lights into the main event. Quite unconventional, there were two aisles that occupied the space, and consequentially allowed for the models to wrap around both aisles and truly give a view of the entire outfit. A backdrop marked the first aisle, and true to the collection’s concept, it was draped in foliage, colorful butterflies, and birds. The show was accompanied at the beginning by piano music and the sound of birds, later progressing into lyrical songs.

Yuna Yang’s Fall/Winter collection is certainly a fresh breath of air amidst a season of frigid colors and temperatures.

Zyanya Salazar is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].