Get most from your toast: add avocadoPosted on October 9, 2012 | by Kim Buesser
The creaminess of an avocado combined with crispy toast makes for the perfect snack or meal. This is a great and easy way to revamp your day-old bread. Avocados are least expensive in the summer, so eat them up now while they are still approximately one dollar apiece. Avocados, a superfood, provide us with essential nutrients such as fiber, vitamin E, potassium and folic acid. The healthy fats in avocados fill us up and suppress hunger so we don’t feel the need to snack throughout the day.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 a lemon, squeezed
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- French bread (or any type of fresh bread, preferably whole wheat)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
1. Peel the avocados and remove the pit. Mash them in a bowl with a fork.
2. Add the lemon juice, cilantro and garlic.
3. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
4. Fill a frying pan with a light coating of olive oil — a little more than a teaspoon.
5. Turn the stove on medium heat and warm the frying pan.
6. Add the sliced bread and cook for five minutes, then flip and cook the other side for five minutes.
7. Remove bread from the frying pan and top with avocado mixture, cherry tomatoes and another sprig of cilantro.
8. Food blog “Cookie and Kate” also has an amazing recipe for avocado toast and many other appetizing ideas.
A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Oct. 9 print edition. Kim Buesser is a contributing writer. Email her at email@example.com.