Neighborhood coffee shops offer discounts, board games

Felipe De La Hoz/WSN

By Kate Marin

Manhattan features a paradise of frothy, caffeinated concoctions. Coffee shops are not difficult to come by, but finding a go-to joint can be a daunting task. Location, quality, price and atmosphere all play a role in finding your specific cafe soulmate.  This list of student-favorite cafes around campus may help guide you in the right direction.

Kopi Kopi NYC, 68 W. Third St., between Thompson Street and LaGuardia Place

Just blocks away from Washington Square Park, Kopi Kopi NYC is a convenient and comfortable place for a quick study break. This cafe offers a selection of Indonesian coffee blends, all made with the highest quality of fair trade beans. Kopi Kopi offers free Wi-Fi, and there are plenty of outlets throughout the cafe to support your charging needs. The shop offers a 15 percent student discount with an NYU ID, plus if you check in on Yelp you will receive a buy one, get one free coupon on your first visit.

“If I have a break in between two classes, I love to walk down to Kopi Kopi to catch up on homework and have a cappuccino,” Tisch sophomore Maria Strycharz said. “Their espresso is amazing and gets me through a quick study break before heading back to campus.”

La Colombe Torrefaction, 400 Lafayette St. between Fourth Street and Astor Place

La Colombe Torrefaction is a spacious shop that provides a perfect date atmosphere or a friendly meeting place. The cafe houses a small bar area and intimate seating arrangements. In addition to its back-to-the-basics atmosphere, La Colombe baristas excel in beautifully crafted latte art that can impress any coffee lover you decide to bring along.

“I like Colombe because it does exactly what it says it does — make coffee. No frills, no gimmicky stuff sold right next to the register,” CAS sophomore Kenzi Abou-Sabe said. “It’s small enough to feel homey, and I can have a conversation with friends in there for hours.”

The Uncommons, 230 Thompson St. between West Third and Bleecker streets

If you are looking for something a little more out of the ordinary, The Uncommons is the first and only play cafe in the city. This cafe offers customers a library of games to enjoy while sipping on a hot drink. Customers have access to any and all of the games for a rental fee of $5 per person per day. For the more dedicated customer, you can purchase a $150 six month membership for unlimited game rentals, table reservations and a 10 percent discount on purchases. The Uncommons opens at 8 a.m. and closes at midnight on most days, so students can stop by to grab a coffee before class or make a night of food, drinks and plenty of board games.

“The Uncommons definitely holds up to its name,” LS sophomore Natalie Hoffman said. “I love board games and I love coffee so this cafe is one of my favorites.”

Fair Folks & a Goat, 96 W. Houston St. between Thompson and LaGuardia

The owner’s love for both coffee and art comes to life at Fair Folks & a Goat. Half of this cafe is reminiscent of your typical coffee shop, and the other half features an assortment of items from local artists. However, the most unique aspect of Fair Folks & a Goat is their monthly membership. For $25 a month, subscribers receive unlimited drinks and discounts on items in the shop. Fair Folks & a Goat is also conveniently located only a few blocks from the Kimmel Center for University Life. A membership at Fair Folks & a Goat will not only fuel your caffeine addiction, but support a local organization and the work of regional artists.

“What really got me on board was their unique membership,” LS freshman Tiffany Liu said. “It’s a really good deal. Plus, when you sign up, you can choose between two organizations where some of the money will go toward. Like I said, it’s a good deal especially for coffee junkies and college students.”

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Feb. 4 print edition.Kate Marin is a staff writer. Email her at [email protected].