Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 05:55 pm est

Neighborhood coffee shops offer discounts, board games

Posted on February 4, 2014 | by Kate Marin

Felipe De La Hoz/WSN

By Kate Marin

Manhattan features a paradise of frothy, caffeinated concoctions. Coffee shops are not difficult to come by, but finding a go-to joint can be a daunting task. Location, quality, price and atmosphere all play a role in finding your specific cafe soulmate.  This list of student-favorite cafes around campus may help guide you in the right direction.

Kopi Kopi NYC, 68 W. Third St., between Thompson Street and LaGuardia Place

Just blocks away from Washington Square Park, Kopi Kopi NYC is a convenient and comfortable place for a quick study break. This cafe offers a selection of Indonesian coffee blends, all made with the highest quality of fair trade beans. Kopi Kopi offers free Wi-Fi, and there are plenty of outlets throughout the cafe to support your charging needs. The shop offers a 15 percent student discount with an NYU ID, plus if you check in on Yelp you will receive a buy one, get one free coupon on your first visit.

“If I have a break in between two classes, I love to walk down to Kopi Kopi to catch up on homework and have a cappuccino,” Tisch sophomore Maria Strycharz said. “Their espresso is amazing and gets me through a quick study break before heading back to campus.”

La Colombe Torrefaction, 400 Lafayette St. between Fourth Street and Astor Place

La Colombe Torrefaction is a spacious shop that provides a perfect date atmosphere or a friendly meeting place. The cafe houses a small bar area and intimate seating arrangements. In addition to its back-to-the-basics atmosphere, La Colombe baristas excel in beautifully crafted latte art that can impress any coffee lover you decide to bring along.

“I like Colombe because it does exactly what it says it does — make coffee. No frills, no gimmicky stuff sold right next to the register,” CAS sophomore Kenzi Abou-Sabe said. “It’s small enough to feel homey, and I can have a conversation with friends in there for hours.”

The Uncommons, 230 Thompson St. between West Third and Bleecker streets

If you are looking for something a little more out of the ordinary, The Uncommons is the first and only play cafe in the city. This cafe offers customers a library of games to enjoy while sipping on a hot drink. Customers have access to any and all of the games for a rental fee of $5 per person per day. For the more dedicated customer, you can purchase a $150 six month membership for unlimited game rentals, table reservations and a 10 percent discount on purchases. The Uncommons opens at 8 a.m. and closes at midnight on most days, so students can stop by to grab a coffee before class or make a night of food, drinks and plenty of board games.

“The Uncommons definitely holds up to its name,” LS sophomore Natalie Hoffman said. “I love board games and I love coffee so this cafe is one of my favorites.”

Fair Folks & a Goat, 96 W. Houston St. between Thompson and LaGuardia

The owner’s love for both coffee and art comes to life at Fair Folks & a Goat. Half of this cafe is reminiscent of your typical coffee shop, and the other half features an assortment of items from local artists. However, the most unique aspect of Fair Folks & a Goat is their monthly membership. For $25 a month, subscribers receive unlimited drinks and discounts on items in the shop. Fair Folks & a Goat is also conveniently located only a few blocks from the Kimmel Center for University Life. A membership at Fair Folks & a Goat will not only fuel your caffeine addiction, but support a local organization and the work of regional artists.

“What really got me on board was their unique membership,” LS freshman Tiffany Liu said. “It’s a really good deal. Plus, when you sign up, you can choose between two organizations where some of the money will go toward. Like I said, it’s a good deal especially for coffee junkies and college students.”

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Feb. 4 print edition.Kate Marin is a staff writer. Email her at dining@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next