Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 12:08 pm est

Clinton, Kelly, Sexton host panel on prescription drug abuse

Posted on May 8, 2013 | by Michael Domanico
NYU School of Law’s Vanderbilt Hall hosted a forum about prescription drug abuse earlier Monday morning. The panel included former president Bill Clinton, NYU President John Sexton, New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly and National Institute on Drug Abuse Director Nora Volkow.
Clinton began the panel by talking about people he knew personally who had passed away due to misuse of prescription drugs, which led to the involvement of his organization, the Clinton Foundation.
Prescription drug abuse has been increasing in the past decade, with pills stolen from family medicine cabinets cited as the main source of these legal drugs.

Kelly, who praised the New York Police Department’s commitment to keeping prescription drugs out of the wrong hands, also spoke highly of Sexton — who has recently been the subject of debate among university faculty. Kelly commended the university president’s leadership of NYU.
Sexton singled out the Reality Show, which is performed during Welcome Week, as one of the university’s major steps to prevent prescription drug abuse among NYU students. He cited the Wellness hotline, which he said receives nearly 400 calls per day — up from 100 calls when the hotline was first instituted in 2004.

Toward the end of the panel, a question from an audience member seemed to leave Clinton stumped.
When asked how to bring the Clinton Foundation’s health initiative to other campuses, the former president joked, “Leave me your contact information.”
Michael Domanico is a copy chief. Email him at mdomanico@nyunews.com.

Comments

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Paul-Funkhouser/1562550385 Paul Funkhouser

Ray Kelly is a fascist pig

• james cromwell

They are all cheating for someone. California is known for having some of the toughest DUI laws in the nation, it seems Bobby Brown has been let off easy. He was released Wednesday after serving nine hours of his 55-day jail sentence for driving under the influence.

L.A. County sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore told the media that Brown was released early due to jail overcrowding and good behavior
      http://zautos.com/bobby-brown-serves-nine-hours-in-jail-for-third-dui/

Paul would the jail ever be too crowed if it was you or I with a 3rd dui?

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next