Seattle rapper Macklemore has been part of the indie rap scene since 2000, but he was only recently catapulted to fame by smash single “Thrift Shop.”
Macklemore’s music has been criticized as being too poppy, annoying or not heartfelt enough. Regardless of whether you like him, he is one of the most genuine rappers on the scene right now.
On his latest album “The Heist,” Macklemore and producer Ryan Lewis craft a pop-rap odyssey with hits and misses, but the rapper brings steady appeal with his playful openness. “Starting Over” digs deep into his 2011 relapse, while “Neon Cathedral” details the artist’s struggles with alcohol abuse. Songs like these would make a fine rap album on their own, but the Seattle MC has one truly transcendent track up his sleeve: “Same Love.”
For a genre long mired by homophobia, “Same Love” is a breath of fresh air. Smoothly tackling the gay marriage debate as well as his own struggles with religion and sexuality as a kid, Macklemore provides an insightful commentary on being gay in America.
Most importantly, Macklemore’s challenge of politicians, religion and bigots doesn’t feel forced. It is not a perfect song, but it is personal, powerful and certainly a good start, while also offering a refreshing counter-narrative to a still-prevalent section of rap.
“‘Same Love’ was a song that I wanted to write for a long time, but I didn’t know exactly how to address the issue,” he explained in an interview with the website SameSame. “I knew I wanted to write a song about gay rights and homophobia within the hip-hop community and the world.”
— Peter Slattery
- Weekend Roam: Little Germany
- WSN Editorial Board reflects on spring semester events
- Strawberry Festival promises delicious, intergalactic fun
- Clive Davis Institute collaborates with DJ Swivel
- Best places to dine on dumplings
- 'Heroes' is not super enough for Xbox Live film program launch
- NYU SLAM sees victory through 'badidas' campaign
- Victoria Ettore elected student council president
- Hester Street Fair hosts diverse vendors, delicious food