Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 11:20 pm est

Alice + Olivia Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 12, 2013 | by Valerie Nelson

Click the photo for more looks from Alice + Olivia.

Well-known for bright, daring designs, Stacey Bendet’s label Alice + Olivia did not disappoint at the winter presentation. Held at the High Line Stages, just a few doors down from the label’s store, the event was as fun as the designs.

With exposed brick and piping, the venue offered a simple backdrop for the creative collection. Models were posed in front of all four walls, and divided into groups. Each of these groups had a different tone, and background. All of the different sceneries came together to form something that seemed like a Victorian era home.

The first group, standing before a claw-footed bathtub and a velvet throne, was classic Alice + Olivia: boldly patterned jeans and eye-catching accessories. As the looks continued, props such as antique suitcases were featured, and schoolgirl vibe was given with emersions of plaid pleated skirts and high-heeled Mary Janes. Things were much more dramatic and grown-up on the other side of the room, which featured lace, leather, and fur before an ivy- and column-laden garden scene. The back wall, comprising of instruments both on the floor and hanging from the ceiling, contained the most formal looks, with sophisticated ball gowns.

There was a trend of studs, which adorned most of the pumps and handbags. Animal prints were also featured; not simply cheetah and zebra stripes, but standouts like an adorable zebra-shaped cross-body bag and a dramatic floor-length parrot-printed skirt. Baroque prints were also frequent, giving a sense of maturity and drama to the collection.

The models were kept simple with a dash of dark lipstick and simple braided crowns.

The event itself was as much a party as a fashion presentation. Stacey Bendet, played hostess, flitting through the crowd in a dramatic floor-length skirt that fit right in with her collection and giving personal tours to special guests. Champagne and macarons were served as danceable music ranging from The Pixies to No Doubt played overhead.

The entrance was adjacent to a short red carpet where celebrities like Annasophia Robb, Nichole Galicia, Vanessa Hudgens, Victoria Justice, and Johnny Weir posed for photographs.

Valerie Nelson is a contributing writer. Email her at bstyle@nyunews.com

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next