Click the photo for more looks from Katarina Grey.
Fashion inspired by the artistic Baroque period are modernized with black leather and gold hardware as Katarina Grey debuted her Fall/Winter 2013 collection. On the rooftop of the NoMad Hotel, an eccentric crowd gazed in awe at the twelve models displaying Grey’s collection titled, “Decadent Opulence.”
The presentation’s color scheme consisted of mostly black, ivory, gold, and a pop of red. Almost all of the pieces fashioned gold accents, such as hardware, embroidery, and appliqué. Some of Grey’s designs even possessed leather “waves” and cutouts.
One piece that particularly stood out in a sea of black and ivory was an elegant red evening gown with bell sleeves, entitled “Monica.” The dress draped across the model’s body with a high neckline and empire waist. When the model turned around to expose the low back cutout, the look maintained the dramatic appearance.
Another design that caused jaws to drop was an ivory blouse and chiffon evening skirt, entitled “Alisar.” The piece emitted an aura of romanticism and innocence, but Grey made sure to toughen the look with a gold appliqué leather belt.
All of the models displaying Grey’s garments wore their hair in a messy updo, some even donning gold glittery paint. The pieces were also accessorized with black pointed toe pumps and a deep, red lipstick.
Grey appropriately entitled her collection “Decadent Opulence” because each of the designs emitted an unexplainable elegance that seemed to come from another time period. Although this is only Grey’s second collection, it emits an ornateness that usually only experienced designers who have been in the industry for decades can capture.
Nicole Hajjar is a contributing writer. Email her at email@example.com.
- Weekend Roam: Little Germany
- WSN Editorial Board reflects on spring semester events
- Strawberry Festival promises delicious, intergalactic fun
- Clive Davis Institute collaborates with DJ Swivel
- Best places to dine on dumplings
- 'Heroes' is not super enough for Xbox Live film program launch
- NYU SLAM sees victory through 'badidas' campaign
- Victoria Ettore elected student council president
- Hester Street Fair hosts diverse vendors, delicious food