The upcoming winter holidays present the perfect opportunity to decorate your dorm or apartment. Decorations don’t have to be elaborate or pricey to foster a festive mood. Check out these DIY holiday decorations that are sure to bring you holiday che
Creating snowflakes is one of the easiest ways to decorate. You can make snowflakes the traditional way — by folding sheets of plain white paper and cutting designs into them — or you can put a twist on the craft by using popsicle sticks and decorating them with materials like beads, wire and buttons. If you prefer to make snowflakes the old-fashioned way, make them special by folding them into three-dimensional origami patterns. Use different colored paper for variation on snowy white flakes.
Personalized ornaments are a great way to add a unique touch to your holiday decorations. Use clear, plastic ornaments found at any arts and crafts store, like Michael’s, and decorate with markers, paint, stickers and other materials.
Candy Cane Wreaths
Wreaths are a great accessory to liven up a dorm room door. Use a real or plastic wreath, found at craft stores or anywhere Christmas trees are sold. Decorate the wreath with felt cut-outs of images like animals, stars or snowflakes. Hang candy canes from the wreath and place it on your door for you and neighbors to enjoy.
Mini Peppermint Trees
Instead of putting up a traditional Christmas tree, make a mini peppermint tree for the holidays. To create a mini tree, use green, red or multicolored peppermint candies and a Styrofoam cone. Glue the candies onto the foam with a hot glue gun. Top off the tree with a festive ribbon and use a candle-holder to hold it up.
Layla Ilchi is a staff writer. Email her at email@example.com.
- Weekend Roam: Little Germany
- WSN Editorial Board reflects on spring semester events
- Strawberry Festival promises delicious, intergalactic fun
- Clive Davis Institute collaborates with DJ Swivel
- Best places to dine on dumplings
- 'Heroes' is not super enough for Xbox Live film program launch
- NYU SLAM sees victory through 'badidas' campaign
- Victoria Ettore elected student council president
- Hester Street Fair hosts diverse vendors, delicious food