The fashion designing couple Falguni and Shane created an over the top, overindulgent and obsessively detail orientated spring/summer 2013 collection.
In tune to the progressive dubstep soundtrack, the show began with models wearing odd clear plastic helmets with futuristic dresses, resembling some kind of fashionable space cadets. The collection was a changing kaleidoscope of color, texture and patterns. Bright shades of blues, purples, and greens swirled like watercolors on silk dresses, leotards and bodysuits.
Many of the dresses were classic in structure, with tailored knee length dresses, some finished with skinny belts cinched around the waist and maxi dresses, some with trains flowing behind them. Bodysuits were daringly worn alone and paired with sheer maxi skirts. However, the overabundance of crystals, lace, paneling, pleating, sequins, feathers, mirrors, mesh and cutouts ensured the pieces looked anything but simple. While fantastically unique in its prints and embellishments, the collection kept on trend with many peplum dresses and high/low skirts.
To not distract the audience from these highly embellished clothes, models wore neutral makeup and slicked back hair. But upon further look, models’ hair was far from basic with intricate braids woven throughout.
With such an impactful collection, it is no wonder that celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez, Fergie, Rihanna and Katy Perry turn to Falguni and Shade’s dynamic and show stopping designs.
Alyssa Santiago is a contributing writer. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekend Roam: Little Germany
- WSN Editorial Board reflects on spring semester events
- Strawberry Festival promises delicious, intergalactic fun
- Clive Davis Institute collaborates with DJ Swivel
- Best places to dine on dumplings
- 'Heroes' is not super enough for Xbox Live film program launch
- NYU SLAM sees victory through 'badidas' campaign
- Victoria Ettore elected student council president
- Hester Street Fair hosts diverse vendors, delicious food