Lead designer of Houghton, Katharine Polk, departed from her minimalistic fall 2012 collection with intricately detailed floral and lace prints. For spring, blazers were made breezy in white crochet and easy, loose silhouettes. One stand out piece was a seemingly demure white dress, made modern in layers of sheer with embellished beaded flowers and a seductive slit. The color palate was predominantly restrained to black and white hues, with splashes of navy, magenta, and metallic gold. The California born designer stuck to her tomboyish roots, pairing pantsuits with buttoned up collared shirts and relaxed blazers. Suiting was done in slinky silk and an abundance of prints on prints. Dripping metallic dresses added to the quietly seductive glamour of the collection. Plunging necklines, revealing backs and thigh high slits were tempered by demure lace work, delicate florals and feminine fabrics.
Models sported a natural look with middle parts and sleek buns. Large lace inspired hoop earrings continued the lace trend. Skin was kept glowing and natural.
The final looks of the romantic collection were two beautifully structured metallic gowns, one cut with a deep plunging V and the other, with a sky high slit in the back.
Sierra Shimo’oka is a contributing writer. Email her at email@example.com.
Click the photo for more looks from VANTAN TOKYO. VANTAN TOKYO is either the only design school participating in Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, or the only Japanese design school, depending on personal interpretation of the poorly translated press information. The three …Read More »
- Weekend Roam: Little Germany
- WSN Editorial Board reflects on spring semester events
- Strawberry Festival promises delicious, intergalactic fun
- Clive Davis Institute collaborates with DJ Swivel
- Best places to dine on dumplings
- 'Heroes' is not super enough for Xbox Live film program launch
- NYU SLAM sees victory through 'badidas' campaign
- Victoria Ettore elected student council president
- Hester Street Fair hosts diverse vendors, delicious food